I Forge Iron

Persian Dagger or something Elvish.

2Tim215

Something I forged up on Monday and it took a week to do. Haven't had this much fun on a knife since I started just under 2 yrs ago!
Blade is 7 layers of 65 layer twist - 8mm 1070 and 2.5mm 15N20. Guard and but cap is scrap leftover Damascus and handle is stainless steel wire wrap over a piece of hardwood - wire wrap proved finicky and difficult and though there are some obvious areas for improvement I am quite pleased with the result.

OAL = 350mm
Blade = 230mm

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

1-8.jpg

2-5.jpg

Thanks.

Darren - when I go to the club meet once a month I feel the same way - it's good to join a club with decent blokes who have been making knives for years - you have no choice but to improve!!

Some of my first ones from last year - you can clearly see an improvement compared to now.

Damascus2.jpg

Damascus4.jpg

Damascus5.jpg

lucky, started years ago but am only 19. Just getting my own setup and the have a club I have been a member of for 5-6 years, am the only one that makes blades so haven't had the coompetition to make myself improve, also don't really have the supliers of steel around my area so have to be picky about what I try.

When I worked with Tom Maringer---noted for his wire wrapped handles among other things---I got to participate in his grip wrap process.

He would shape and fit the handle core and then remove it from the knife and mount it on a very slow turning geared down motor equipped with a special jig that resembled the tang of the blade. Then he would cover the core with a very thin layer of long setting epoxy. Set the end of the twisted wire in and then using a foot switch start the core slowly turning. He liked to wrap with the wire under 50 pounds tension---I got to stand out in the yard with a spring scale attached to what looked like a water skier tow handle. This way he had both hands to apply the wire *tightly*.

Once it was wrapped he would clamp the free end and let it set. When it was done he would then fasten the free end in place and bead blast the grip to deal with any epoxy squish outs and make the grip a bit more positive.

He actually did several wire wrapped sword scabbards which would entail the helper being out in the south 40 slowly walking in...

lucky, started years ago but am only 19. Just getting my own setup and the have a club I have been a member of for 5-6 years, am the only one that makes blades so haven't had the coompetition to make myself improve, also don't really have the supliers of steel around my area so have to be picky about what I try.

Luck has nothing to with it - hard work, planning and forethought. If I was your age again with the benefit of having started so young I can only dream to know where I would be now. You should be pushing your skill level every time and keep at it, by the time you are my age you could be a world renown knifemaker and not a backyard hick like me.

Tim that is stunning! I especially like the patterning in the quillion (is that the correct term?). I love the look of the pattern welded blades and I cant wait to be able to have a go at one myself (long way off). Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Adam.