I Forge Iron

New anvil, needs work

Hi guys

I got myself a 2.25cwt Peter wright anvil last week. It has a wrought body and appears to have a very thick face plate.

Over all it's in good condition (I paid £150) but the face has a few dings which I'd say are about 1mm or so deep.

A buddy of my is a pro blacksmith and he reckons we can fill these with stainless steel weld rods and then just grind the surface flat.

I always though stainless was soft and would be better using a hard facing rod? That said my knowledge of welding is poor at best.

No pics for a while I'm afraid as I work offshore and I am currently at work. ;)

Opinions much appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

Don't do anything to it until you've forged on it for a few months. A ding that a mil deep is trivial and will probably be completely removed with you take a flap disc to the top. Welding isn't recommended unless there is some serious damage that's having a negative impact on the work you're doing.

At a millimeter deep, I would sand the face evenly with a 120-grit flap wheel and then use the anvil for serious forging. The scale produced with forging is an abrasive and will soon have that face looking really nice. I really don't believe that dings so shallow will imprint on your work.

I guess I don't really understand the reason to fret over dings. I have pretty soft Arm & Hammer that has quite a few and it has no effect on the work. I would definitely consider repairing large gouges or missing face but dings don't matter. It will just get another the first time you miss your work.

Be careful with welding an anvil with any hard facing rod. I do repair anvils for mostly edge damage. A high mangenese build up rod would work but maybe better to use a 11018 instead.
Hard facing rod is used to re-enforce a surface against abrasion, IE earthmoving bucket. That type of rod is easier to put on that it is to grind, (abraid), off. It most likely is harder than any grinding pad you could ever bring to bear.
I am cautious to not weld anything in the face that would be harder than the original plate. I would rather fix a bad spot more than once than have a super hard repair that the rest of the anvil wears around

One other thing to consider before you grind/flap wheel the face is to look closely at the dings. Tf they have raised metal around them which they should unless they have been hammered down, take a small hammer and using the flattest face hammer around the dings to bring the metal down and then take a flap wheel or whatever to it gently without trying to grind them out and then use it. It sounds like your damage is minor in size if not volume.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, managed to get some pictures of the anvil.

WP_000092.jpg

As you can see these "dings" are numerous and deep. As far as I can tell these aren't your average hammer dings. I can cope with those. The best way to describe them would be mini craters on the surface of the anvil.

WP_000102.jpg

WP_000103.jpg

They cover the entire sweet spot in the anvil.

As I said earlier I have no idea what caused these. I couldn't dent the surface of the anvil when I tried with my hammer.

Is the best cause of action still to take a flap disc to it? There is a lot of material to remove... any advice would be appreciated.

Outside of these craters the anvil seems to be in pretty good nick. There is one chip on the egde but other than that the edges are in pretty good condition and the ring/ rebound are very good.

It is stamped Peter Wright patent - wrought (circular) 2-1-10
near the bottom there is a stamp 35 34 and a "U" - is this a code to the year of manufacture or something else?

WP_000105.jpg

Cheers guys
Andy

Ignore them. I think they are from corrosion from being left outside as a decoration for a few decades.

If after a few months you find they are transferring undersireable marks to your work THEN consider repairing. Most work is done near the edge where there are no marks, and the center of the anvil is used more for flattening and straightening.

Just rub that beautiful anvil down with some oil or wax and let work clean up the face. The oil or wax is just to stop the rust from transferring to your clothing.

Phil

• 2 months later...

I have just looked at the pictures. Just use it and see how you get on. Any fool can grind metal away. I have used anvils worse than that one!

BTW on your original post you mentioned that you thought stainless is soft. Stainless is a generic term. Some is soft. Some is very hard. It depends on the grade, work hardening and heat treatment.

I have a little Demo anvil that spent about 40 years laying in the ashes and ruble of a burnt down farm blacksmith shop and the face looked just like the photos. Looked like deep rust pits. I used a flap wheel in a 4" grinder and gently polished the surface. The pits are still there but over the years have polished out from use somewhat. They in no way affect the work. At 70 #s this is my demo anvil and gets little use compared to my shop anvil, but still has smoothed from use.

By the way, the fire seems to have not affected the hardness of this "Vanadium Steel" brand anvil. Great rebound and it will make you bleed from your ears due to it's almost bellergent ring! I wear hearing protection and as a demo anvil that ring really calls in the folks from afar at a demo:)

Cheers guys

I'm going down to the folks place this week. I'll clean it up and spend a day using it.

Andy

Yes!!! Use it! That's the best way to clean it up.
I fretted over the best way to clean up my 300# Fisher but forging on it ultimately was the best way to get the stop silky smooth.
Hot steel and scale are excellent polishing medium.

Good luck n have fun. She's a beauty!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers fluidsteel, she is an absolute beauty. I went over the face with a flap disc just to clean off the rust which helped a lot.

Sadly I was called away to work before I could do any smithing on her.

Would some one with a copy of Anvils in America please be kind enough to check and see if the 35 34 "U" stamp means anything. I've had a quiet evening here at work and my Google fu is very weak on this one.

Cheers

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, last year I bought this Peter wright,  It has some nasty pock marks left from what I can only assume is bad rusting from being outside for goodness knows how long.

Well you guys suggested to use it for a while before I did anything about it: I've used it for about a year now and 95% of the time these marks do not bother me.  But they do leave annoying marks on smaller forged items and they can be quite irritating.  I've found a chap that is an hours drive from me with a surface grinder who can take off a millimetre with relative easy.  I don't think this amount if material would affect the face in any way but I'd like to check with you guys.

So question one: will removing 1mm from the face have a detrimental effect on the anvil?

2: will removing this material effect the hardness of the face?

Cheers
Andy

If it were mine I'd have it ground, just make sure the face of the anvil is level to the table of the grinder and not the base or it will be removing high spots instead of removing material from the whole face equally as it should be. Removing two MM won't affect the hardness or the integrity of the face plate imo but it could be said it won't do it any good either.....If you could be on hand when it's being ground that would be nice, then you could tell the operator when to stop................ :ph34r:

I agree with Macbruce- Make sure that the machinist surface grinds the base first so that the top plate is completely level with the base. I have an old Hay Budden that had 4mm removed from the surface and it works just fine, I've been using it for years and the rebound is still excellent,

Good advice all around.  Have the guy mill the base first, or shim it up so the faceplate is parallel to the ground/table so you don't grind off-angle and bite through the hardened top.  Then take off as little as possible to satisfy your wants.  If you can be there to watch it, great.  If not, make sure you explain to the guy what you want to accomplish rather than give him a goal to reach.  If you tell him to take off a mil, that's a work order and that's what he'll do.  If you tell him to smooth the face and take out the dings, he might only have to take off a half-mil to do that.

Post lots of pics when you're done!