I Forge Iron

Simple Engraving for Knifemakers Tutorial

Great stuff.

When engraving knives do you always engrave after heat treat? I would think that would make it very difficult to engrave or are you making sure the areas to be engraved are adequately softened.

I ask as I have only played with mild steel so far.

Great stuff.

When engraving knives do you always engrave after heat treat? I would think that would make it very difficult to engrave or are you making sure the areas to be engraved are adequately softened.

I ask as I have only played with mild steel so far.

Hi Quint,

I always try to engrave before heat treatment. Any engraving I do after heat treating is in areas that weren't hardened. I use an anti-scale treatment to keep the worst of the scale buildup away from already engraved areas.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tried the download yet, my connection is weak. I will try later when I am in town. Could you give more info on the anti-scale treatment?

Hi Elemental,

You can see my anti-scale method here: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=233 - It's about halfway down the page. Basically I use an old jeweler's trick where I half fill a small bottle with boric acid (I get mine from Ace hardware store), then fill the container with alcohol (rubbing or wood alcohol). The alcohol burns off leaving a layer of the boric acid behind, which will melt during heat treating and make a layer of flux, keeping a lot of the oxygen away from the steel. I apply it several times to leave a fairly thick white crust behind, then heat treat.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...