I Forge Iron

When did Fisher.....

I'm looking at a Fisher anvil that I'm trying to get. She's real dreamy, with a perfect horn and a face that shines real pretty. My dream anvil.... sigh :wub:

The current owner doesn't know about anvils, and I'm relying on pictures to guess the size, weight and age.

From what I'm told, the face is 5" wide and the O/A length is 29". That would seem like a larger anvil, but what weight am I looking at? The owner says her hubbie told her it was 350#. And the numbers on the foot of the anvil, she thinks, are in the stone weight and would make it 320#.

My questions:

When did Fisher start or stop casting bolt-holes into the feet of the anvil?
Did Fisher have the Eagle's head looking Right or Left, and did they ever switch it?
Did Fisher ever use the old weight system, or are these numbers a date/batch indicator?

Thank you for your time.

I didn't think they used the English system, but I couldn't be sure. This anvil isn't marked in pounds or tens of pounds, so I'm going to guess it's a date or batch number.

She writes, "The end under the horn states that it is FISHER, Patented April 21, 1877. The other end has some numbers. The top number is 1882. The other numbers underneath look like a 1 . 7 . 12. "

While I certainly hope she comes home to me, I would love to know more about the markings. A 300# Fisher in my shop would be the bee's knees!!

Well for reference my 300# Fisher has a 5-1/4"x18-7/8" face. Hard to give you an overall length as mine is missing 3-5" of the horn.
But, the over all length as is, is 28-1/2"....
I sure hope you get it. I know you've been wanting one forever! :D
Mine's from 1913, No eagle, and it does have casting lugs.
My 1907 157# Fisher has an eagle, head facing left. It also has what appears to be a 10 with the 0 being more of a sqaure block on the heel end of the base.

Looking forward to seeing pics of it at your shop!!! :D :D

BTW, stone weight would never have a number larger than 3 for the second number.... so it can't be english weight....

Quote:

(I'm looking at a Fisher anvil that I'm trying to get. She's real dreamy, with a perfect horn and a face that shines real pretty. My dream anvil.... sigh :wub:
The current owner doesn't know about anvils, and I'm relying on pictures to guess the size, weight and age.
From what I'm told, the face is 5" wide and the O/A length is 29". That would seem like a larger anvil, but what weight am I looking at? The owner says her hubbie told her it was 350#. And the numbers on the foot of the anvil, she thinks, are in the stone weight and would make it 320#.)

Checking anvils in the museum would put that anvil's weight around 300 lbs. They were never exact. Only way to be sure is to weigh it.

My questions:
When did Fisher start or stop casting bolt-holes into the feet of the anvil?

Fisher first put the lugs on anvils in 1892. They were on anvils from 100 to 350 lbs. I have noted two 400 lbers with lugs recently.

Did Fisher have the Eagle's head looking Right or Left, and did they ever switch it?

Fisher used at least 6 different Eagles over time. They mostly relate to a particular period of time of production.

Did Fisher ever use the old weight system, or are these numbers a date/batch indicator?

Fisher never used the English weight system. Those numbers are batch numbers put on by the moldmakers. I am still trying to make sense of the system.

The 1882 is the year the anvil was made.

If you end up with the anvil, and make the trip up to Mass. to retrieve it, contact me for a visit. You will only be 30 miles away, all highway miles, on you way through NJ.

Thanks for the info, NJA. I hate to think how much this will cost if I win it and have to drive all the way to Massachusetts to pick it up, but if I do you can bet that I'll be stopping by the museum for a tour. Anyplace decent around that knows how to make a pizza? Maybe a cheese steak to tide me over on the way home?