I Forge Iron

Just wanted to share a picture of my new gas forge I built for doing demonstrations at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. I decided having a gasser and a coal forge side by side would allow me to do a few more complicated things, and have things ready to go ala-Julia Chid. We sell swords, knives and other impliments of destruction and people are always curious as to how they're made so I figured having pieces in various stages ready to be worked on might make my half hour shows flow a bit better. I do three of them a day. As for the forge it's essentially two inches of fiber wool, a layer of vesuvius 300, a few more inches of wool, capped off with more refractory and encased in abbey stone. The burner is a 10x2 refractory ribbon being fed from the bottom. I still have a front gate and hood yet to install. Anyway, here's a pic!

J

post-7730-0-19334900-1345817960_thumb.jp

I have a few more pictures of the burner build itself that I'll try to upload if my phone decides to work like it's supposed. In the meantime, let me know what you think. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks real nice, I wish I had an inside forge, I have a shed, but that's not really safe, so I can't really forge in he winter. :(

You can have a forge inside a shed (either coal or gas) as long as you have sufficient ventilation. A coal forge should have a chiminey (side draft seems to work best), which could go out a window. A fan in a window with a door cracked open should provide enough cross ventilation for a gas forge. Use a carbon monoxide detector to ensure you have enough ventilation.

Looks to be making nice heat for you. Do the period police give you doodly about a gas forge? Some years ago I had to start packing my kit because they didn't like my safety glasses. It was for effect, the local baron told them to shut up and made them my lackies. Gosh Hugh was an excellent baron, good priorities.

Frosty the Lucky.

You can have a forge inside a shed (either coal or gas) as long as you have sufficient ventilation. A coal forge should have a chiminey (side draft seems to work best), which could go out a window. A fan in a window with a door cracked open should provide enough cross ventilation for a gas forge. Use a carbon monoxide detector to ensure you have enough ventilation.

Really? I might ask my dad, I haven't really tought too much about it, but maybe if I move the shed little, so if it burns, well... it wont be next to the garage.

Yeah, it's all dry stacked, with the exception of the gas portion. Frosty: no one has said anything yet, but the fact that everything is hidden like the gas line, plenum for the ribbon burner and the blower it really just looks like some sort of oven. I'll snap some more pictures tomorrow and throw them on.