I Forge Iron

cut devil and general hammer questions

Hey guys have another question about some hammers/tools I picked up as I didnt find much info on them.

First I have a couple of what look like hot cutter hammers and they have CUT DEVIL stamped on them. I didnt find any info on this company I assume it is. Any info from you guys, also anyone know if these are decent or not?

Also have another hammer that has an A encircled with a horse shoe. Was this another company or a subbrand from a company. Kind of hard looking that one up so couldnt find anything on it either.

Just kind of curious, I am picking thru a small pile of various hammers/cutters and what not figuring out what I wanna make a part of my very small collection and what I want to pass on.

One last question for ya all. I am very new to this and was wondering how you tell the difference between a hot cutter and a cold cutter. I understand what each is used for and I think the difference is maybe the metal used for each one but other then that is there a way to determine the difference say as mentioned above in a pile of various tools.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Usually a hot cut has a more gradual taper 30 to 40 degree and is not as hard. The cold cut has a steeper taper, normally around a 50 to60 degree angle to provide support to the cutting edge and should be hard enought that a file slide across or barely cut. This could be a visual way of possibly identifying. Always a guessing game with old / handmade tools but thats most of the fun!

Hi Quint, I would suggest you go to http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/18783-an-introduction-to-blacksmiths-tools/ and familiarise yourself with the terminology and vocabulary of the blacksmiths tools,

As stated previously on cold cuts the body is stubbier and the cutting angle is greater than the hot cuts

post-816-0-33254500-1345632216_thumb.jpg

The cold cuts should be hardened and tempered and like the cold chisels, and not used on hot metal.

post-816-0-84846000-1345632613_thumb.jpg

Hot cuts should be made of a suitable heat resisting steel appropriate for the job they have to do and have a more slender/narrower form to allow the hot metal to be cut more easily.

post-816-0-11292600-1345632642_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

A Cut Devil is not a hammer. It is a cold chisel with a handle that was used to score and break rails. It is a railroad tool and the purchasing railway’s mark will be opposite the makers mark. The steel has a specific recipe and the dimensions  very specific. I ran across this thread looking for the spec sheet that I found a couple weeks ago. If I find it ,I will let you know.