I Forge Iron

post vice with forged square hole in for mount

crazeyladyfarms

This a vise I own. The mounting hardware has a tenon that goes into the mortise on the leg. It is all held in place with a wedge. The tenon also goes through a hole in the spring. From what I have been told and read this style of vise was common in the late 18th century and early 19th. Most likely of english make though there were American vise makers. Unless it has a makers mark it is very hard to say who made it as vises like this were more or less a commodity. Most makers were making "standard" established designs of tools for wholesale to dealers.

post-2348-0-33990200-1345621045_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-95260900-1345621058_thumb.jp

post-2348-0-32753400-1345622007_thumb.jp

I've used a spring clip on my tennoned mounting bracket for my pre-1800 travel vise as I can keep all the parts together when it's not installed for use.

Making the mounting bracket can be done several ways: one is to take a piece of strap that will fit tightly in the hole when doubled over and double it over and then twist, bow the other ends for mounting. A bit more elegant is to forge weld the tenon section. Another is to start with heavier stock forge down the tenon section and then split , twist and flatten the bracket bench mounting arms.

Remember that the opening spring can be made from mild steel. punching a sq hole in it to fit over the tenon is an easy smithing task.

This type of mount is much easier to make than the later wrapped strap with wedges and mounting plate. Take a bar split it then it flatten the ends into round bosses. Forge a shoulder on the other side and draw out the tenon punch a hole. I made one of these mounts with Peter Ross in 1994 at the Penland school of craft. Spring and wedge are simple. I would say it is an intermediate level project workarounds and substitution in the case on this type of vise are not really any faster or easier.

One reason I moved to a propane forge is we have burn bans almost every year for months due to the dryness out here in the desert. Propane forges don't count as they are a controlled "contained" fire.
that will be a good you have an good plans an old country boy can follow to make one. I have a torch and chop saw and a stick wielder and some common sense. that's all you need for most things and I have a friend that will let me use his lathe and mill if needed the materials I can find I'm sure thanks

You don't need a chop saw torch or arc welder to make a mount for that vise. You need a hammer tongs an anvil and a forge. You will save time forging it and it will look right when you are done. That vise is 200 years old from the time our country was founded, It should be fixed with care. How many people can say they own something from the revolutionary war period. This is an excellent project to build forging skills. If you need help I will walk you through it.

A good propane forge can be built very simply, and they are often called knifesmith's forges. There are a billion variations on the internet. The hardest part, and the reason I don't have one, is dealing with the propane hoses and all that. It just scares the snot out of me!

Beautiful vise you've got there. I saw one the other day on ebay and thought to bid on it just because of the unique mounting situation.

I built 2 of the 3 propane forges I own at workshops held by an ABANA affiliate. We met on a Saturday and set up an assembly line and built close to 20 propane forges and then put a number on each one and drew for who got which one. Total cost was about US$100 IIRC.

Check with your local affiliate and see if they have one planned; if not suggest it!