I Forge Iron

New guy here question on coal

new to smithing and forum lots of good info. have have gonr through and read a lot but have not seen a answer for my question.I went to my first meeting last weeek. My question the other day I went for a ride and do a little photography and there is a old cement factory shut down about 1970 i walked aroud took some pics and found coal laying around i cpuld pick up several bags. Since this was a industry do you think they used cheap stuff. It is shiney and fist size or smaller. I checked the forum and could not find anything dealing with a find like this. Also is it worth walkin a rail line. I live in western Va and a lot of coal cars go through here goin to the ports .
Thanks Bobby

It is probably anthicite which was used to fire up their heating system. All you can do is break it up into grape and pea size pieces and try it. If it cokes up and doesn't turn to ash use it. But I would bet it won't work well. What you want is soft bitumas which as not used in heating systems.
Good luck and have fun.

welp I am with Bobby 'cept my question is the term "cokes up"'how do you know and what signs are you lookin for? this is the neatest and most informative site goin
thanks to all that have posted or put up pictures and keepin the thing goin

Ok there is a major issue here not addressed and that it is *hard* to get started just from reading. 1 afternoon spent with a smith who knows what they are doing can save you 6 months or more of trying to learn it from books or the internet!

Also a smith local to yourself should know where to get coal, scrapmetal, new metal. tools, etc.

I strongly suggest you look up the local ABANA affiliate and attend some of their meetings and ask around about someone near you willing to answer your questions.

I am not saying I would walk the RR I know that's wrong but I have a retired friend who is a part-time rail inspector and thought if the coal would have any value he could grab me some. Maybe he could get me some plate or other scrap.