I Forge Iron

Anyone have a lathe for hire?

If your window weights are the old cast iron type, I would not use them. They are cheap cast iron, very hard to machine, and very brittle. I would find some good steel and machine them using a taper attachment on a lathe. Or better yet, forge them down to shape, then file or machine them.

We bought one from kayne & sons I believe..About the same size as the ones on ebay..They are super handy for certain things but if i had it to do over Id have bought one from Roger Lorance or a Greene & mengal because they have a Tong/Chain groove in them..I like to make chain and we sell chain trammels with rings in them..Kinda hard to true a ring when its got chain attached to it..

If you are going to have it lathed get one made from steel!

When I needed a lot of lathe work done I went to the local VoTech and for a donation to the end of the year party fund they did a great job on a lot of work including internal boring and threading and making a plug to fit and tapered cross sections, etc and so on.