I Forge Iron

"it's the stupid "engineer" in me" Yup a smart engineer does just enough and then stops!

My father had a couple of degrees in engineering and several thousand engineers working for him at one time; he always told me that "every *engineering* equation always had a $ somewhere in it!"

Didn't stick----I over build stuff terribly too! (Particularly things outside of my training as I don't have enough background to know when "it's good enough".)

I've had my anvils mounted on various contraptions over the years. My 240lb HB was mounted on a 20x20in square hardwood block for much of its existence. It was ok but I like to tinker so I made a 3 legged frame with scrap tubing and angle iron just to see if I would like that. It was ok until I got some of the foam rubber matting that you can piece together, that made all the difference. It sort of cushions the stand and sort of glues it to the floor but still allows you to move the anvil if need be. I tosed the wood block and made two more stands for my other anvils, They seem to work great and I have no problem with the bouncing or moving even when I really get to heavy pounding.

Looking at your photos there have you ever had a problem with tripping over the edge of the matting? Looks just where I would stub my toe!

Would a foot block sized piece of the matting superglued onto the foot block still act as a cushion and not create trip hazard /burning smells when you cut off a hot bit?

Looking at your photos there have you ever had a problem with tripping over the edge of the matting? Looks just where I would stub my toe!

Would a foot block sized piece of the matting superglued onto the foot block still act as a cushion and not create trip hazard /burning smells when you cut off a hot bit?

I really don't notice the mats since there is usually a lot more things laying on the floor that I trip over. They are pretty soft so it isn't like hitting a 1/2in thick board. I think your suggestion would probably work just fine but I'd have them stick out a little ways from the foot maybe an inch or two. Part of the adhesion to the floor is the foam on the edges. not just what's under the foot. You probably noticed there are several burn marks where hot things have fallen on the mats but in reality they just smoke and don't usually ignite. I might give your suggestion a try on my smallest anvil and see how it works,