I Forge Iron

Coo Coo Table

Wow, Danger, that is soooo awesome!!! At the school where i work one of the projects we do is making simple mechanical toys, (out of wood, with cams etc -fish with googly eyes, cars with little men bopping up and down, you get the picture!) I never really thought about using those mechanisms in a table!!! Truly brilliant!!!

danger thats totally ace!! i love it! the wooden legs look brilliant - and as for the little moving bird - the mans a genius! :) beautifully made, and i like how youve kept the amount of 'wood' mellow and quite sparse - youve not gone barmy having it tangling all everywhere. its lovely :)

Fantastic work Michael!!!!!

I like the mechanism . Tell me is the object for the owner to "peck" the person on the oposite side of the table by squeezing the spring loaded arm????? and watching him/ her "freak out" as they look down and see the bird coming to life and pecking them again?
well done!
andrew

For a little inspiration, do some research on the Giacometti brothers. They were amazing and the cast bronze furniture is timeless. I have several books of their works and often refer to them. Several years ago, I was asked to make some bronze firescreens for Joe Felbers clients as he was too busy to do so. (Joe is a really good blacksmith and is always busy). When I walked into the clients home (wine country CA.), there were 2 original Giacometti tables, and 3 Calder mobiles. Me, in heaven and blown away visually. What a treat! That's not to mention the paintings and beautiful French ironwork on some antique doors. I like those 1/2 of one percent folks. :)
Speaking of which, I think it is imperative to have a good library of metalwork books to feed on. (Forget the Kindle. My little jab as my wife is a bookseller).
John

• 4 weeks later...