I Forge Iron

A Poll Regarding Hammer Handle SHAPE Preferences.

Ramsberg

Handle shape, size and grip point preferences.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What shape do you prefer for you hammer handle?

• Factory stock
    • Modified stock, slightly oval
    • Modified stock, medium oval
    • Modified stock, drastic oval
    • Modified stock, squared up
    • Modified stock, octagon
    • Modified stock, profiled to grip, as in, grooves cut for fingers
    • Homemade, slightly oval
    • Homemade, medium oval
    • Homemade, drastic oval
    • Homemade, squared up
    • Homemade, octagon
    • Homemade, profiled to grip
  2. 2. What size do you like your hammer handle

• Upper neck, much thinner then rest of handle
    • Upper neck, thinner then rest of handle
    • Upper neck, same as rest of handle
    • Upper neck, thicker then rest of handle
    • Upper neck, much thicker then rest of handle
    • Middle, much thinner then rest
    • Middle, thinner then rest
    • Middle, same as rest
    • Middle, thicker then rest
    • Middle, much thicker then rest
    • Lower, much thinner then rest
    • Lower, thinner then rest
    • Lower, same as rest
    • Lower, thicker then rest
    • Lower, much thicker then rest
  3. 3. Where do you grip the handle the most

• Close to the head
    • Near the middle
    • Close to the end of the handle
    • Varies as to type of work

I am conducting this poll because my poll on hammer handle material indicated a near unanimous vote for wood and also indicated that there are a great deal of different profiles used for hammer handles.

It is my hope that the results of this thread may give people ideas as to what else to try in regards to hammer shape.

I have enabled multiple answers for the first two poll questions, seeing as how some may have multiple preferences for the first poll question and the second question is actually three questions in one.

If anyone has a preference for which there is no answer in on of the questions, please state it in the thread and I will add it to the possible answers.

Caleb Ramsby

Most of my hammers have a handle about two hands in length. That is The width of my closed fist,including thumb, times three. Some handles are longer but the extra length does not get used. The neck is usually about one fist in length. I usually grip the hammer one fist width back from the hammer head. This held position is, for lack of a better term, home base with my hand sliding backward along the handle occasionally for a stroke or two.

I view the handle configuration as an integral part of my hammer technique. Their shape reflects and supports how I use the hammer.

I like a modifed octagon because I'm one of those people who puts his thumb forward on the handle so I use the flats as a guide to where the edges or the face are oriented. I know that's not "the right way" and I'll probably develop some kind of wrist problem by the time I'm 90 but the habit is too greatly ingrained now to break. BTW, the hammer I'm holding in the avatar pic is an octagon shape.

Thanks for the input guys.

This little poll of mine simply can't encompass all of the variations that smiths hammer handles take.

I conducted this poll because there is a lot of information about what shape of hammer head people use and how they swing their hammer and hold it, but not a lot or at least I couldn't find much, about the exact shaping of the hammer handle.

Even if I could put 100 options in the poll, I don't think it would be enough. Also, it appears that a lot of smiths switch up between not only different weights of hammers, but also different lengthed and shaped handles in a day of forging.

Well, I gave it a go, but I don't think this poll is nearly as effective as the hammer handle material poll. I must also admit that the poll questions and answers I produced here are rather confusing. . . even for me! HA!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Caleb Ramsby

Yep, I ran out of questions that could be asked before I got to that.

The great issue with how the handle is griped is how to properly describe it with words. Especially in poll question form.

From what I have observed, both from myself and other smiths, the shape or shaping of the handle often dictates how the hand grips the handle and visa versa.

I do believe that a little bit can be learned by what options above were NOT chosen(in this poll) , compared to what was chosen. Such as, thus far no one has said they use factory stock handles.

Caleb Ramsby

I am always intrigued by the preferences for different lengths and shapes of handles. It is the eternal discussion, like big bore vs. small bore in the gun forums.

Many smiths declaim loudly that only loooong handles are allowed in their shop. Then, when you take a picture of them during a demo, they are gripping the handle somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 away from the head. Why? Better control.

Watching Brian Brazeal at ABANA, he often chokes up to the top 1/3 of the handle, and uses heavier heads than most. Mark Aspery, the opposite.

Me, I like short, heavy hammers. But I am a short, heavy guy. And I like octagon or coke bottle grips, no paint or varnish, mineral oil only.

I once went to a commercial blacksmith shop that had a 2x72 grinder set aside just to profile handles to an octagon shape. Woe to the newbie who let it touch iron.

It is said that when great art critics get together, they speak of brushes strokes and lighting and colors. Great artists speak of brands of brush cleaner, and which bars will let you run an open tab until the next show. B)