I Forge Iron

Wanted: ideas for making an unpowered air supply

rdennett

Water barrel, fun. Always wanted to try one, but too big and heavy for here and now.

I have some canvass and PVC pipe (or is is ABS? The black stuff) that I plan to try air bags that you open and close with your hands (for real this time, not a kitchen trash bag). I am thinking 12 inch diameter 16 inches tall, no valves although with PVC you could just put a sump pump valve inline no problem. Threaded fitting to iron and Bob's your uncle!

It is just cotton canvass dropcloth, and I have some undercoat/bedliner spray to air proof it.

Phil

exhaust pressure of a forge is almost zilch, now you could get something set up with a tall chimney; however the laws of thermodynamics say you will get less out than you put in.

That's ok because the forge is putting a lot of heat in, so extracting a small amount of work from a tall stack probably would work...or cause excess smoke spillage.

Phil

exhaust pressure of a forge is almost zilch, now you could get something set up with a tall chimney; however the laws of thermodynamics say you will get less out than you put in.

I, sir, am a perpetual motion machine... lol

you get it though... heat has to go somewhere... would be based strictly on efficiency as opposed to proficiency... sensitive turbo with a small hotside.... like off a smart car or some... regardless if it spools up or not, it pushes air...

IIRC, there was an "edutainment" show a few years ago where the smith (I think it was Tom Trozac of Bullhammer and Phoenix hammer fame) forged the head for a Roman battering ram using a charcoal fed ground trench forge and a gas leaf blower for an air supply. Waaaay more air supply and fuel consumption than you would need unless you are forging anvils.

Look instead for an electric bouncy house fan cheap on CL, or seasonal yard decoration fan, usually free on trash day when the Snoopy snowglobe has gone flat.