I Forge Iron

New person - new anvil way rusty

I have a co-worker who is willing to sell this anvil, I am way new to the game and was wondering if it is even worth my time. It looks like there is signigicant rust, but the most concern is the chisle like marks on the horn. A price has not yet been set, so if i decided to buy what would be a fair price, I think it is 125 lbs

post-26431-0-98290300-1343222456_thumb.jpost-26431-0-16340600-1343222486_thumb.j

Definitely worth your time.
Surface rust doesn't mean much- anvil looks to be in quite nice shape.
Older Peter Wright before the 'England' stamp was included. If the price is right I'd jump on it.
1-0-16 = 128lbs.

What is a fair price? That depends on where you are, and the availability of other anvils in your area of the country.
Some people get lucky and pay $1/pound or less, and others pay $3/pound or higher....

Make the guy an offer of $125 and see what he says? Can't hurt to ask.

That Peter Wright appears to be in very good shape. The face and edges look very good. If the chisel marks on the horn are a concern they can be dressed out with a grinder but the most important part (face) looks to be in excellent condition. The rust won't hurt anything and will wear off with use.

If the face hasn't delaminated anywhere, I would definitely take a close look at it.

That rust on the anvil is like dirt on a car you are looking to buy---make sure it's not hiding anything but no other concern.

You can smooth out the horn easily with a belt sander or an angle grinder with a flap wheel or disk sander.

As for price it would be about twice as much where I live now as where I used to live; shoot we don't even know what country you are in! But when people tell me to give them a price I start at US$1 a pound and work my way up.

As I am pretty well anviled up I would stop at $2 a pound. If I really needed an anvil I might go as far as $3 a pound for the good condition of the face.

Any more than $3 a pound I'd laugh in their face!

What everyone else said. That isn't rusty at all. Twenty minutes with a wire wheel and WD-40 or a splash of diesel and it will look like new.
That's a wonderful anvil and I'd gues scarce in Wy. Buy it now before he changes his mind.

Trust me. If you stick with blacksmithing you'll laugh at yourself a year from now for hesitating a single second. Seriously.

That is a nice anvil. The chisel mark don't affect the use of the anvil and they are in the softer wrought iron not the hardened steel face. As has been mentioned you can grind them out but that's what that little table is for. As to price, what I have seen in Wy. is that anvils aren't very common but hopefully you can get it for a good price. That being said a really nice anvil like that one is worth what ever you are willing to pay for it. If you don't get it, it is highly likely you regret not spending a little more. Believe me I have been there and have kicked myself ever since.