I Forge Iron

How Can I Read Anvil Markings

I have searched for the answer with no results. If there is an older post please let me know and I will look for it.

I have what I believe is a Mousehole anvil. The weight markings are 1 . 1 . 17 so it is 157#. I can see there are some markings above the weight but I can't quite make them out. I have tried flour, chalk and rubbing on paper with a pencil. I have rubbed the area with a wet cloth. I have seen enough to believe I have the word Armitage. What other method can I use to pull out the faint markings?

Thanks for the help. You have all taught me a lot already.

The three numbers in the hundred weight system are decoded as follows (213).

First number 2. That is whole hundred weights or 112 pounds, 2 x 112 = 224

Second number 1. That is quarter weights or 28 pounds, This number can never be greater than 3 or it becomes a whole hundred weight. 28 x 1 = 28

Third number is left overs. This number can never be greater than 27 or it becomes a quarter weight. 3 x 1 = 3.

244 + 28 + 3 = 255 total weight of the anvil in pounds. This may vary a bit due to wear.

The most accurate way to get the correct anvil weight is to use a scale. If you use the bathroom scale, the real number may be a bit different than what is shown as the scale may have been adjusted off center (exact weight) by someone on a diet using the scale. (grin. it happens)

Glenn he already knows the CWT system---"The weight markings are 1 . 1 . 17 so it is 157#"

What he is trying to do is to read the other stampings to get the brand name and other information. He's already tried the usual processes, rubbing, flour, etc ---any other ideas?

Perhaps low angle lighting and good digital photography and then messing with contrast and maybe even digital photo enhancement software is all I can guess.

Armitage is pretty unique to a mousehole I believe. If you can see that I'd say mousehole and get on to using it.

Perhaps low angle lighting and good digital photography and then messing with contrast and maybe even digital photo enhancement software is all I can guess.

That's exactly how I figured out the 'no-name' anvil I was looking at on the net was actually an A&H.
Seller said it didn't have any markings. After asking for some closeup photos, I could see some markings- I had a hunch what it was, messing around with some nice photo editing sofware confirmed it.

Using a friends Mac that has the pro version of Photoshop I believe.... Not 100% positive though- That's all he does is work with photos and editing.
I'm no photo guru, I'm a hack. But when I'm motivated to find information, I'll go to my best resources.