I Forge Iron

Some of my first knives, not perfect, but we all start somewhere!

digger9523

Hi all,

I've made a few knives in the past, all stock removal, but i hope to get into pattern welding some in the forge as well. Here's a few of my past efforts, only done 10 or 11:

DSC00488.jpg
DSC00850.jpg
DSC00849.jpg
DSC00674.jpg
DSC00676.jpg
DSC00677.jpg
DSC00691.jpgIMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
DSC00957.jpg

Hope you like them, all the best,

Nick

Fantastic filework, I'm a huge fan. Looks like the bevel is pretty steep, but that might be the images.
What were you thinking for your first damascus piece?

Thanks Theo,

I'll start small with typical hunters knives, then go up to a good sized Bowie.

I've been greatly inspired by these two videos on youtube recently:

http://youtu.be/gLlObpob6lg

http://youtu.be/2f01tU9akqY

I think the end piece is a masterpiece, and one day i would like to do a sword of a similar style for an old friend of mine

Forgot to say that i favour a high Scandinavian grind for the bevels. Sharpening knives seems to be a dark art for some folk, and i believe such a bevel is easy for beginners and experienced users alike to sharpen :)

Thanks folks!

Didn't think they'd get as much praise on a forum with so many talented artisans present! :)

Some folk don't like so much file work on their knives, i just love to do it. I mostly sit with some good music going of an evening when i do it. It's all done with Bahco needle files. I think it's easy to do, some of it looks very intricate, but can be easily achieved with good sharp files. I never draw on a pattern, i just file away material until i see what i want left behind.

The blades are done with a mixture of tools. A bench grinder (stone) to get out the rough profile and a prelim bevel, then i tidy up the blank with a belt linisher. After that i finish the bevels with a hand file. When the blank is ready, it's file work time.

We moved house/county last December, so I'm a bit behind with knife work. But as soon as i have anything new I'll post it.

All the best,

Nick