I Forge Iron

The Beast is operational

Well, almost. I've had a stalled Junk Yard Hammer project that I spent this weekend getting finished. I built the majority of it awhile back and then in more recent times I started getting the stuff together to finish it.

I used plans provided by Daniel Gentile, that he posted for free-to-use on the web. Thankyou Daniel for a great set of plans.

I'd built the hammer from bits out of the dry dump. The big wheel a fella gave me, the shaft was an old axel that I turned down on a Mate's lathe, and about the only bits I bought are the bearings, wheel centre and the 3 Hp motor (off Ebay), plus and the elecrical bits.....

The slab of steel it all sits on was sitting at an old aquaculture site for the last 30 years or so, so I took a gas-axe up and cut it in two and loaded the two halves (with assistance) to bring back and the cut this piece from one of the halves.

Oh yeah, and I made it mobile

post-25292-0-56347200-1341130980_thumb.jpost-25292-0-30211000-1341131009_thumb.j

For a clutch I used the motor itself pivoted, and the foot lever ring moves it to engage the belt and a spring pulls it back when the weight is taken off the ring. I made some SS slides to hold the belt in shape when the tension of the motor was taken off (so the motor pulley isn't touching the belt)

post-25292-0-83687500-1341130997_thumb.j

The foot ring in these photos is in the "travelling mode". When the wheel comes off the front, the ring goes down to horizontal for use. The rear wheels just flip up out of the way.

I now need to find some conveyer-belt rubber to put under it, or maybe I'll use ply wood.

This baby hits HARD, and fast when the pedal is right down, but there's pretty good control for slower softer strikes. Have just splintered wood into fibres during the testing so far, so can't wait to try it out on some hot steel. That'll have to wait until the end of the week as I have a town run tomorrow.

gggggrrrrrrreat to see an antipodean hammer, i am getting one built up as well ,with that gearing what is the beats per min ?hammer/tup weight and anvil weight? i like the philosophy of working with what you have and making it work.( too much to see a vid working just to add an accent to the engineering) thanks for posting mat.

Thanks for the replies Fellas, the town trip (to Katherine) turned into an extended trip to Darwin, as twin Grandsons were born yesterday. Mum and Bubs all doing well.

Mat, without pulling it apart and weighing bits, I've got a calculated weight of hammer at 35 Kg (77 Lb) and working on motor RPM, drive wheel size and big wheel size, it's putting out 200 hits per minute (199.5 actually) The anvil weight? Stuffed if I know. It's a piece of RR iron with two other equal length bits of the top section cut off the base and welded in with reobar fillers.

Postleg, Whatever works mate, the back two are just trailer jockey wheels and the 'steering wheel' is pivoted

Thomas, as per usual, good advice. Thanks, I will build a shroud for the motor

Woody, I'd like to see your set-up. Have driven through the shadow a number of times. Will get in touch before the next trip.....

Greeny, no idea what you're talking about Mate. I'm in a part of the world where the termites are about 3/4" long and they'll eat everything that isn't native (and a lot of stuff that is), so not much tillering goes on around here, but thanks for the thought.

HDF, Ive only been test driving it as yet, on it's wheels and it rocks a bit, as to be expected. I got some conveyor belt last week, so hope to really trial the hammer this weekend. The plate it's bolted to has a slight curve, so some areas of the base are on filler pieces. Not ideal, but ok to start with. if it pans out alright, I may build up the area under the hammer, or I'll look around for another flat sheet to replace with.

Sam, thanks Mate. I'm pretty chuffed to have this thing up and running finally and hope it works as well as it is looking to do.

Will keep you posted as to how it performs....