I Forge Iron

well it has been a while since i have posted anything, and this is a first for putting my photos up.......

i was comissioned to make some items for a steel combat group in townsville (3 1/2 hours drive away) who base their 're enactments' on the mid 12th to the mid 13th centuries.
these are the photos i was to go by....
dagger- top right http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images/maciejowski/leaf41/otm41ra&b.gif
kettle hat and shynbalds (greaves) http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/maciejowski_images_27.htm
so here goes http://www.flickr.com/photos/41924895@N07/sets/72157630278675478/
woody

'utility knife' as it were....
there are knives like it in the mac bible, but also ones with 3 points, they seem to be a feasting or table knife.
according to what i have heard, the tip of the knife was reserved for scooping small amounts of salt (a very valuable seasoning) from the salt bowl, or 'cellar', making it hard to use the full knife for eating! so presumably one can get salt with the rear point, and use the whole of the front, from tip to handle, for eating purposes????
your guess is as good as mine!

• 2 weeks later...

'utility knife' as it were....
there are knives like it in the mac bible, but also ones with 3 points, they seem to be a feasting or table knife.
according to what i have heard, the tip of the knife was reserved for scooping small amounts of salt (a very valuable seasoning) from the salt bowl, or 'cellar', making it hard to use the full knife for eating! so presumably one can get salt with the rear point, and use the whole of the front, from tip to handle, for eating purposes????
your guess is as good as mine!

Hmmm, yeah, I can see why they went out of fashion, still, nice work mate....

blinkin wunderbar woody!!!! this one got past me!! amazing clean work - i LOVE the hat/helmet wahtever - sorry i cant say anything intelligent about it or history or anything, but i can see how youve done it and it looks super cool :) Very Nice One Mate :) looks very tactile.

• 4 weeks later...

thankyou beth, one can always count on you for a positive response! :)
thankyou too mitch, whirly, sam and loner,
prokopto, the customer is using it for combat safe re enactment, so the edges and tip had to conform to australian group standards for steel combat.