I Forge Iron

1877 Fisher blacksmith anvil

in this pic here, that hole side of the face is welded down the edge, is this going to make the anvil crack and brake the first time i use it ? or will i get some use out of it ? can't believe i didn't see it , but it looks to have been a long time ago and has lots of use after it was done...i know its a fisher and from what i read it cant be fixed that way do to heating the face will make it harder and more prone to crack there, and on my anvil that be the hole side !

5Ia5Ge5F23M23m43N6c62b316f24d18921654.jp

"crisper edges" The old blacksmith books tell folks that when they get a new anvil the first thing they should do is to round the edges. So I guess you can weld up the edge and grind it crisp and then grind it back rounder to get it like it should be...

Fishers can be fixed; don't know what you have been reading. There is more of a problem with them if the repairs have to bridge the steel/cast iron interface but it can be done. I would be much more afraid of problems trying to reharden a Fisher, but NOTHING that anvil needs would ever require that---unless it had been through a shop fire.

As to previous repairs: if they were done right no problem, if they were done wrong, problem---how they were done---Who Knows? Which is why repaired anvils generally go for substantially less---you just don't know how they were done.

• 3 weeks later...