I Forge Iron

Wright or wrong?

Hi, I am new here, and I am hoping to get an anvil identified. I have spent a good many hours reading and looking at pictures on here, but I am only scratching the surface of the wealth of information on this site.
I think this is a Peter Wright, but I am not sure. I can see part of the word *wrought" in a circular stamp above the weight marking 2 2 20. On the back side, is a number 62699 in larger letters.
Also, is there a proper name for the hardy anvil you see in the pictures? Would it be used in a hardy hole, or set in a stump or stake plate?P6170053.jpg
P6170054.jpg
P6170055.jpg
P6170056.jpg
P6170052.jpg

I'd say it was a PW yours has the little flats on the base like mine and the general shape is consistent with a PW. It looks well used but not abused, someone used her for a long time and respected her. If the hardy fits use it.....

Thanks for the help. The stake anvil looks like it was used quite a bit, then left outside for years. The big anvil has been used a lot too, and is a bit low in the sweet spot, but it is not damaged. It is in much better shape than the old 1891 Fisher I have, that has the tip of the beak missing, and a piece of the plate behind the Hardy hole missing

• 3 weeks later...

No, that isn't a Peter Wright. It is cast as opposed to forged. If is is cast steel (rings when it is struck with a hammer) possible makes are the various Swedish makers (Soderfors, Kohlswa etc.) or it might have been made by a random foundry. Also, there were a few cast steel English makers as well.

I can't help you with the number 18. I have never seen a Swedish anvil with a number cast in the side like that.

There are a few American cast steel anvils also. The big question asked by Sask Mark, "does it ring when hit". Put it on a board or the ground, not on metal to really tell the ring. It looks like a really nice anvil tho.
Do you have any idea how much it weighs?

I've seen one Kohlswa anvil with the little ledges on the feet like the PW's. I'm fairly certain that it was cast steel.

In the 70's, an ABANA conference catalog had a small anvil pictured very much like your small anvil. It was captioned "a shipsmith's anvil." Maybe, but that doesn't mean that all anvils of that shape were used on shipboard in the old days.

I've seen one Kohlswa anvil with the little ledges on the feet like the PW's. I'm fairly certain that it was cast steel.

In the 70's, an ABANA conference catalog had a small anvil pictured very much like your small anvil. It was captioned "a shipsmith's anvil." Maybe, but that doesn't mean that all anvils of that shape were used on shipboard in the old days.

Yesterday I saw that cast anvils twin in a diesel truck shop on Long Island NY. It even had the raised number 18 on the side. I did not get the chance to hammer on it but it looked like it had been used and it had stood up well to hammering. I would feel fairly certain that it is a quality anvil.