I Forge Iron

1/4-inch V-bit bolt tongs

FieryFurnace

Forged from 1/2-inch round spring steel
18-inches overal length
14-inch reigns
Made for holding 1/4-inch round or square.

They took an hour and twenty minutes to make. I made about a dozen pair back to back a few months ago and got them done much faster, but it's been a while since I made a pair of bolt tongs. I need to make one of the jigs for the jaws. I think Spears posted some sort of jig a while back.

Anyway, they are smooth and I am pleased with them. I'm making a couple pair as a gift to someone.

DSC05087.jpg

DSC05089.jpg

DSC05090.jpg

DSC05091.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

Love those chainmaker v-bits. Try making a gooseneck pair so the jaw is offset allowing stock to not interfere with the hinge, my favorite pair of tongs for 1/2 inch is a set of OCP gooseneck chainmakers, the jaw looks almost identical to yours.

I agree you are getting into a high end product there, except the time. I would be pleased to own a pair of your tongs made to this standard (but only if you can price competitively)

Phil

Love those chainmaker v-bits. Try making a gooseneck pair so the jaw is offset allowing stock to not interfere with the hinge, my favorite pair of tongs for 1/2 inch is a set of OCP gooseneck chainmakers, the jaw looks almost identical to yours.

I agree you are getting into a high end product there, except the time. I would be pleased to own a pair of your tongs made to this standard (but only if you can price competitively)

Phil

I've made gooseneck tongs before!

Hello Dave, Your hand made tongs look very well made as usual. Dedicated fixtures and tooling might only bring up the speed. As far as tool worthyness, I would say your hand work makes a fixture "not needed". Unless of course your looking to knock them out in higher multiples for sale or donation.

I actually started designing yet another fixture to help tong making for folks needing tools who aren't quite as practiced. I don't think of tong making as a beginners project, but it is some of the first tools people will need to get into blacksmithing. I refer to tongs as the goose's golden eggs whenever the request say's "please donate tools for the raffle". I'm sure whoever receives your tools as a gift will be very appreciative. Thanks for showing. Spears.