I Forge Iron

Problem with candle spike

john_zxz

Hi, I have a problem with candle spikes ( sorry I don't know the name of that part, you'll see in the picture what I'm talking about).
How in the old days did they make this part, the small spike where the candle sits on. When there is a scroll under the pan, you can make a tenon and rivet it from under, but like in the picture, I don't see how without arc welding. If someone has a clue, I'm taking it because I want to make candelabras like this one and I don't want to tack it. My stick welder, even at the lowest amperage is too powerful and burns a hole in half a second in a pan of 16 ga steel.

post-9026-0-96415900-1339110748_thumb.jp

If I'm understanding your question right, it looks to me like they made the spike from the end of the arm the dishes sit on. The dishes look like they have a hole in them that lets the spike come through, and then the dishes look like the sit on top of an upset/bulge/collar on the arm.

That's what I see, anyway. Not that I know anything. I'm still a noob. ;)

the dish is solidly attached the pointed part goes thru the pan then a rivet set that is a little smaller than the hole thru the pan is used to pien over a bit of the spike ... hard to describe an kinda hard to get right but it can be done... helps if you make a sholdier for the pan to rest on...

Hi John, We know the "spikes" as prickets

One of the problems with modern candles is there wicks have washers on at the base of the candles when they are made, Prickets can hit these washers and crack the candle, so take care.