I Forge Iron

junk yards

I've been looking around for a good junk/scrap yard and all I can find are Car junk. I know I can get some good bits off them but I was hoping to find a junk yard like Glenn talked about in Blueprint BP0244. Does anyone know of a junk yard like this in the Portland Oregon area? or with in a reasonable drive (3-4 hours) or know where I would look to find one?

Look in your phone books for "scrap/recyclers", not many actual junk yards left, atleast not here by me. I just found a place thta is RIGHT by me, that I didn't know sold scrap steel peices, plates, i beams, pipe, all kinds of stuff. 30 cents a pound too will buy ALOT of good steel too.

You should be able to walk into an auto junk yard and load up a pick-up truck till the bed touched the tires.

I have started another thread so as not to hijack your question and to make it more search friendly. Check there for some ideas.

I've been looking around for a good junk/scrap yard and all I can find are Car junk. I know I can get some good bits off them but I was hoping to find a junk yard like Glenn talked about in Blueprint BP0244. Does anyone know of a junk yard like this in the Portland Oregon area? or with in a reasonable drive (3-4 hours) or know where I would look to find one?

rather then junk yards try ,engineering shops ,or fab shops ,if as in the uk they will have bins of drops or ends .

Also if you live in an area with a good "heavy trucking" industry try Truck Repair Centres, especially the ones with spring shops. As bruce mentioned, they'll have a bin for "drops" and a dumpster out for scraps.

A helpfull hint#
Alot of times the boys that works in these shops will have a coffee fund set-up so one of them can make a coffee run to Starbucks or wherever at breaktime. Make a point of throwing a couple of bucks in the can whenever you stop in for something and get to know the workers themselves. You'll be amazed at what good pieces "just happens to fall" behind a machine and not be found until the next time you're there.

Another source might be an ornamental iron fab shop. There was one near where I worked that had to pay to have their scrap hauled off. They were *very* happy to have someone scrounge from their scrap bin.

They had everything from 1/2" solid in lengths less than 2' though a few long "damaged" ones mig welders don't straighten bent steel so they would toss it. Sheet metal even some wrought iron they tosssed after getting a contract to replace a real WI fence with a mild steel one after an auto damaged the old one.

As a business they didn't keep scrap around waiting for a job to use it. After a job was over all the "leftovers" were dumped.

I made their secretary a dragon business card holder and along with showing up wearing steel toed boots with leather gloves and leaving their scrap bin neater than when I came so they could stack even more in it we must of scrounged over 1000 pounds of good usable material from them.

Thomas