I Forge Iron

Establishing standards for the future

DEVELOPMENT OF NEW NATIONAL OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS (NOS)

FOR BLACKSMITHING -

Leading to a new Apprenticeship Scheme.

Westpoint Forge May 27th 2012

10.30am - 4.00pm

As practicing blacksmiths, you are invited to take part in the consultation process for the new blacksmithing NOS (National Occupational Standards) This is an important step forward for the recognition and establishing blacksmithing qualifications.

The Training Steering Group will be visiting the four home nations - one visit to Northern Ireland, one to Scotland and one to Wales. In England we will visit the North (Co Durham), the Midlands, the South (Surrey) and the West Country (Exeter).

During the process at each meeting information relating to the NOS frame work will be presented, and the 'smiths attending will be actively involved in contributing to the scope and contents of the NOS (the wide range of skills blacksmiths use at work).

When the regional consultations have taken place the group leaders and those representing organisations within the industry will meet to complete the final work on the NOS, creating the new apprenticeship framework for blacksmithing.

This process will shape blacksmithing training - it's not about now, it's about the future.

The consultation process needs to be completed by the end June.

It is essential to contact as many blacksmiths as possible throughout the UK, so if you know anyone in your area and who may not be aware what is happening, please let them know.

Please let me know if you are intending to attend so we can organise refreshments etc, Lunch is not provided, but there will be a buffet available at modest cost, refreshments are free.

Here is the Programme for the day

10.30am Arrival, Registration & Tea / coffee.

11.00am Terry Clark to Chair.

Introduction by Steve Rook, to include what are NOS and why we need them, plus development

pathway and dates.

Presentation by Adrian Legge

Introduction to functional maps

Introduction to sample NOS /Level/ Scope /underpinning knowledge

Level descriptors

Introduction of training pathways

1pm Lunch - Tea & coffee

2pm

Discussion of functional map sample - make any additions/changes and comments to sample

document.

Practice session in producing one NOS document e.g. forging.

Set up of regional working group - volunteers names and contact details, plus chairperson.

Finish approx 4pm

Tea & coffee

Obviously I am far too innexperienced to add anything useful to these discussions, but I would be interested in the outcome!

Will there be a formal qualification to achieve in Blackmsithing on the back of this research?

i cant make that day john either - it Does sound interesting and will be great for the profile of the craft to get some of the skills required a bit more defined.. my only worry that this might end up like some other lines of work where there is an accreditation board that does not necassarily reflect all sizes of business - and mainly favours the larger set - up. that would be my input if i was there, i like tom, am very much still a learner, but i do think that if it comes down to a situation where to get contracts you have to tick certain boxes, theres always a risk that the little but just as skilled guys miss out, because maybe you have to have a certain size premises, or employ a certain amount of people or have office procedures in place when you dont even have an office!!!!... i guess thats why this is being thrashed out properly. sounds hopeful. i hope there is plenty of skilled blacksmiths who will input their thoughts.

Will there be a formal qualification to achieve in Blackmsithing on the back of this research?

This is just one of a number of regional meetings, and the eventual outcome should be recognised National Occupational Standards, (NOS) that is the objective of the meetings.

Meetings have already been undertaken in the North of England, (County Durham), the Midlands (Northamptonshire), and Wales is having one tomorrow

Wales

Saturday 26th May 2012

Caerllegan Fach, Meidrim, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire

Wales SA33 5PJ

Andrew Rowe 01994 231747 andrew@dar-design.com

Sunday is the South West meeting at Westpoint,

Then

Northern Ireland

Saturday 23rd June 2012

Gerard Loughran info@ballinliss.com

Then

Scotland

Saturday 30th June 2012

Elspeth Bennie 07740 951608

elspeth.ironhorse@virgin.net

And finally the South of England

South

Saturday 7th July 2012

Wildfields Farm, Wood Street, Guildford Surrey GU3 3BP

Terry Clark 01483 235244 sally@artsmith.co.uk

When these regional consultations are completed, and National Occupational standards agreed, these new standards will give the structure to the new Apprenticeship and future blacksmithing qualifications - e.g. defining skills, and underpinning knowledge.

I'd like to hear about this just so I can see how far I am off the pace 'officially'.

Will the qualification just stick to the techniques of blacksmithing, such as drawing down, upsetting, fire welding etc?
Or will it go further, to things such as design work, business skills as well?

Thanks to all who turned up for this most important and productive meeting.

In some respects it was a disappointing turn out in terms of numbers, but most inspiring that there is a real feel that what is said at these meetings is being listened to and will be incorporated in the future of our most noble craft.

I would urge all of those who purport to be a blacksmith to attend these meetings and help shape the future for our craft.

If this opportunity to officially place our skills and requirements on record is not seized, then as such we future generations will not receive the recognition that the Craft so rightfully deserves.

So to those who have so far put their input in, Thank You, and for those who still can, PLEASE make the effort to go along and contribute, The broader the spectrum of contributors, the better the new National Occupational Standard (NOS) will be.

Let's get it right now, if not, the ones who have not come forward to participate will be the ones to blame.

For those who do come along, be prepared to have your ideas of the skills we have and use, put on view for all to see.
One of the things that does come across as is the amount of "skills" involved in the craft, and it is very enlighting when going through the day and the skills are being highlighted and you will find yourself checking off what you already know and have achieved, and you will be surprised (pleasantly) as you mentally tick them off against your own experience.

Thanks too for the hard work being done by Adrian, Steve and Terry, and the support they are getting from across the totally different 'political' backgrounds that have been attending these meetings, (the nearest thing you will ever get to unification in the craft from people who narmally only agree to differ.)

This is for the future of the Craft and so if you are serious about being a blacksmith, then attend and make your contribution.

What was obvious is there are a lot out there who are eager to say "I'm a blacksmith" but when given this opportunity to contribute, don't want to participate because of the apparent commitment, and possibly fear they cannot measure up when being analysed.

At the moment there is nothing to measure up to, and that is why we need these standards, so make your contribution whilst you can, you owe it to everyone who has helped you either directly or indirectly to whatever stage you are at in your journey into blacksmithing.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, John.
I wonder how many smiths failed to turn up because they couldn't be bothered (guilty!) and how many didn't turn up because they are skeptical and/or wary of the idea of an NOS for blacksmithing (still guilty!)?
Like the NHIG thing, it is hard not to wonder about who is being served; one man's standard is another's limitation, perhaps?

There are valid reasons for both of these areas being considered and linked together although they are seperate in their own right.

NOS is vital in that it will lay down the expected skills and working practices required of a blacksmith, and those skills are necessary to enable "Heritage ironwork" to be properly worked on.

With regard to the NHIG, this has various interpretations as to why it is being promoted, it appears IMHO to be introducing a "closed shop" type operation with a limited amount of very lucrative work being on offer to a limited amount of practitioners with a load of terms and conditions attached that personally I consider to be long term unsustainable without a lot more funding to the individuals involved. Draw your own conclusions.

It did however kick start the NOS introduction and that is not a bad thing.

As someone who has been involved with the craft for over fifty years, and still knowing very little of the total extent and range of blacksmithing, I find it sad and uncomfortable that anyone can call themself a blacksmith and in the wide world be on an apparently equal status in the publics perception as someone who is trained / experienced in aspects the craft

So long as "grandfather rights" can be maintained until the NOS scheme is well and truly established and that may be a generation away, I cannot see why people are afraid of embracing the scheme.

The only proviso I have is that the qualification is based on the proven competence of the practitioner, and not the mere fact thay have been on a course.

There has been an extraordinary amount of work put into this project by Adrian Legge, Steve Rook and Terry Clark and they deserve some respect and thanks for putting it out to the general blacksmithing world, and if you did not take advantage of the opportunity to be involved with this most important move for the future of the craft, then you have missed out on a most interesting debate and your chance to contribute to shape the future of the craft and return it to the honourable profession and status it once had.

John, I agree largely with your sentiments, but I, personally, work in isolation from the "blacksmithing community". It's difficult for me to understand how the actions of other smiths (or blacksmithing organizations) effects me. I certainly do not expect to see a day when the general public acknowledge "good blacksmithing" as such. It's simply not going to happen.
When "good blacksmithing" is done, I think it will be for reasons unrelated to an NOS.

Hi Dan, depends what is defined as "good blacksmithing", and if the public are not exposed to the different standards of blacksmithing, then they will never be able to make up their own minds as to what is good or not so good, all metalwork raises the awareness of its place in todays world.

The purpose of NOS is to provide a database for what is involved with the skills and techniques essential to the craft.

For most people extensive training and knowledge has, and is, most difficult to access, and the knowledge at the source of the facility (individual person, group or establishment) being used can be highly doubtful.

IMHO, "Good blacksmithing" is by and large a personal standard by the maker, it does not depend on the skill range of that person, merely on the standard of the individual's current piece under scrutiny.

Unfortunately a lot of the "blacksmithing community" are far to quick to praise work of what I would consider to be a less than satisfactory item, probably because of their own experience and capabilities at the time, this can lead to deterioration in standards and skills knowledge, some of the work coming out from some colleges/training establishment/facilities leave a lot to be desired, and alarmingly these students are potentially the future for the craft.

For the general public, the WOW factor is more motivating than the skills involved, probably always has, and always will be, that does not mean that we should allow the skills base to deteriorate,

This is in evidence at many of the Shows on the NBCC circuit www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk where the judges opinions and the public votes are seldom the same, the judges standard being the professionals standards, and the publics, just what they like.

Having said that, most of what the public chooses is reasonably high quality and well made, it is the quality of the piece that is being judged rather than the amount of skill(s) that went into making it.

After all, whatever we make is scrap until it finds a useful function in our own (or others) workshops or money changes hands and it is sold.

After that little rant, all I can say is make your own standards and keep raising the bar, you don't have to reach perfection (you never will) but be satisifed that you are happy with what you have done, you have done a good job to the best of your current ability, and you can live with the result of it.

John, I am entirely in accordance with your opinions concerning the state of blacksmithing in this country, and I understand that the NOS and NHIG issues should not be conflated.
However, having just been given a view of the Orwellian dystopia afforded by the nu-speak, jargon and outright gibberish of the NOS literature in the latest BABA newsletter, I am now firmly of the opinion that a move towards a blacksmithing NOS is not in our collective interest.
We, as blacksmiths, should be glad that we are (were?) a small enough "sector" to be passed over by this particular bureaucratic Angel of Death.

As to the actual occupational standards as they exist informally, there is enough passionate disparity of opinion to rank it next to politics and religion as something not to talk about in mixed company. I don't think some slow-witted pen-pushers are going to change that anytime soon, NOS or no NOS.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to the outcome of this. I'd like to learn to become a full-time blacksmith, but it is a difficult trade to get into, especially with the different types of blacksmithing and it being perceived by most people as nothing more than a historic craft that is no longer relevant.

when people ask me what i do or whats your job i often hesitate trying to summon up the best description then i give in and say blacksmith, swiftly followed by not the horse shoeing type, this seems to suffice but the thought of some big noise trying to analyse the skills i have built out of blood sweat and tears makes me quite angry i think there is the true qualification of selfless aplication leading to accumilated skills and experience, i also think that some massive qualification factor might put people off ! this little rant is just a kneejerk reaction to a percieved threat to my life ie oh dont use him theres a bloke down the road with a piece of paper. i will probably be retired by the time all this comes round but i still think its an erosion unless the qualification is purely to establish the smiths ability to restore existing ironwork whereby the skill level is pre set by the maker and the state of the material . lets be very carefull about reinforcing the elitism that plagues this art .