I Forge Iron

ice carving chisels

havent posted anything for a while so here i go.
this is a set of four ice-carving chisels i forged for a coworker at the resort i was working at last december.
the sizes are, for the flat blades, 1'', 2'',and 3'' or slightly more, and the v chisel is 1.5'' on each side of the V. forged from leaf spring.

just shorter, but the angle is slightly more blunt because ice is pretty soft.

post-1642-0-70269100-1337627672_thumb.jppost-1642-0-51031500-1337627690_thumb.jppost-1642-0-61388300-1337627710_thumb.jp

Ed, Those are great looking chisels. Nice roll on the attachment point. Is anything about an Ice chisel, different than a regular chisel? Is the grind angle different? I realize they are bigger than usual. Bigger picture is OK, I like looking at the detail. Nice "S" touch mark.

Very nice chisels Ed. I really like the form. Is there anything more that you can tell us about how you did them? I want to do some socketed chisels for my wife for Christmas and could use advice.

Are these mild steel for use in ice? I notice the 3" is chipped a bit.
How did you forge the sockets? Are they forge welded?

Thanks - Doug

years ago that is what got me starting in blacksmithing I wanted a set and did not want to pay the price. never got a round to making them had work for hire from the first day i lit off the forge fixing old farm equipment. they will work real good but need a lot of maintenance to keep the rust from forming. http://www.jbprince.com/ice-carving-chisels/executive-set-4-tools-and-roll.asp The best Japanese ice carving chisels are made of stainless steel. they do not sell them any more was 4 times the price.

• 1 year later...

oh wow, I cant believe I never answered these questions! Sorry guys.

though its a bit late now, maybe it'll help someone down the road.
The sockets are forged to a fan shape, just under 1" at the narrowest, and about 3" at the widest, then rolled in a swage starting from the small end, then finished on the anvil face. They arent welded, and i dont use a bickern to shape them either.

All made from leafspring, and triple normalised and then hardened, let down to about a bronze, so pretty hard still. the 3 inch one isnt chipped, that is galling from my file being loaded and gouging out big gnarly scratches.

sorry for taking over a year to look at this again, just forgot I guess...

sorry for taking over a year to look at this again, just forgot I guess...You FORGOT! Nice looking set of chisels, almost good enough for wood or timber framing. It was sure strange to see a set of Japanese ice chisels for nearly $600, man are we in the wrong business if that what they are getting for them, wow!, that a hand full of money. Keep up the quality work, you sure done good!