I Forge Iron

Fabricated a tool cart

Hello out there.

Just wanted to share with you guys what I've been making the last few weeks at my tech college. It's very heavy, around 165# I'd say and there's not even tools in it yet. I'm planning to spray paint it with a blue color, is it advisable for me to grind the surface a little with an angle grinder to make the paint stick better or is that not necessary?

It's mostly TIG welded, but the handles I did with MAG.

Need to put some wheels on it now.

post-22619-0-54540600-1337340616_thumb.j post-22619-0-50080500-1337340642_thumb.j post-22619-0-07259500-1337340670_thumb.j post-22619-0-92974800-1337340704_thumb.j

Yeah, you're going to want casters for sure and there's already been solid advice on size. My two bits is I really prefer to only have swivel casters on one end, it makes it a LOT easier to steer than having swivels on all four corners. Hit it with sand, sand paper, wire brush, etc. and make sure there's no oil on it before you paint it. I really like acid etch epoxy primer and epoxy paint, the stuff is really durable and looks nice. One the other hand appliance paint is durable and looks good. I've used both to good affect.

Frosty The Lucky.

Clean, clean and clean again, you cannot be too clean. Don't touch it with bare hands after cleaning and before spraying. And spray lots of thin layers.

About the bare hands, a painter in a car factory production line once told me that human skin have some salts on it that will cause corrosion in a few years.