I Forge Iron

Kentucky Smiths, Attention

My (Lewis Meyer) bad there. I did not get out the emails to everyone on my list. I'll try and do better on the next one and post here as well.

Great! Let me know when and where the meetings are. I am interested, you should already have my email and if not PM me. It's a bit of a drive for me I know, but I would really like to attend. I've got some locals here that want to get together but don't want to drive so far as well. I'd love to host a meeting in my shop sometime too. Just get in touch with me via email.

BTW I know Scott and Laura Kellersberger! They are really great people!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had some 25 or 30 people on the "we are interested" email list. We gave a month's notice for a meeting date and 3 people showed up.

I am a full time smith and simply do not have the time to inspire, arrange, plan, and host a meeting. I have to make a living. I will be happy to attend, help where I can, or demonstrate, or whatever, but I can't devote the time to getting this going.

I'm confused.  Is there an actual organization now?  I signed up for the mailing list, but have yet to get emailed about a meeting.  I admit, I was laid up for a few months with a badly broken ankle, but am now back in circulation.  From the other groups I've been involved with (Houston, Texas and Indiana), there were monthly meetings.  That way, everyone knows when the meeting is (e.g. 2nd Saturday of the month).  What are we missing?  A place to meet?  What is required for that?  Do we have to have forging stations for everyone or just one forge used in giving a demo?  What's a meeting consist of, demo, eat, socialize, leave?

Demo, eat, free forge time, socialize, leave.

We need a centrally located host shop, an energetic guy with enough time to plan, organize, and invite people to a meeting, and enough people to attend.

We need a forge, an anvil, a vise would be nice, a building in case it rains, and basic tools for the demonstrator. Basically a fairly well equipped hobbiest's work station.

Many associations meet monthly at a different shop each month.  The host is in charge of lining up the demonstrator and making sure that he has what he needs for the demonstration and to arrange for coffee and lunch.  This is good because each month attendees get to see a different shop and how things are done there and the burden of hosting is spread around.  If this is the way that this group decides to do it I will host a meeting at my shop.  I'm about 90 miles from Columbia and almost in Ky.  I'm on the southern tip of Big South Fork NRRA.  I have a large well equipped shop.  If some want to camp they can either stay in the shop or camp on the grounds. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...