I Forge Iron

San Mai Pettys

Greenbeast

Started a pair of San Mai Pettys, one for the g/f and one for me
It's 1.6mm 15n20 clad in 1.2mm mild steel

I welded up the billets and forged in the tangs while drawing it out ever so slightly:

2012-05-12171741.jpg
2012-05-12174235.jpg

But then treated it as a stock removal project to protect the thin layers from heavy forging:

2012-05-13085314.jpg
2012-05-13103936.jpg

I'm planing on making my first micarta for the Wa style handles they'll have.
Unconventionally one will be a nice shade of purple (for the g/f :P) and the other i'm hoping to do white paper handle with black paper bolster/end cap

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They're still in progress unfortunately.

I moved on to some stock removal kitchen knives and made better progress so the pettys are on the back burner.
I've become dissatisfied with the deep hammer marks that i won't be able to grind out but which also have deep scoring from the grinder scale removal :(

• 1 month later...

I agree with John. You need to do something with the finish to bring out the contrast between the two steels. Even if it is just the lower half of the blade, like grind in a large bevel and then polish and etch. Not that it's a bad looking knife, I like it, but it's a shame to do the san-mai then not be able to see it.

How thin are we talking? I'm a chef and personally feel like very thin knives. -Justin

Kwisatz, this is the method (http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?135931-Handeling-thin-blade), except i've gone with a thin steel ferrule instead of another chunk of wood. This dowel method makes handling blades so much easier than trying to drill out a slot!

John, no they haven't been etched, i figured with the finish they've got it wouldn't show anything. Thanks for your insight on the construction

Justin, the layer boundary is already about half way up the blade (from memory of initial grinding), they're thin enough that any further bevel grinding is going to dramatically change them (i think). I'll leave them this time and use it as a learning experience