I Forge Iron

what hight is

Too high is hard on the shoulder, too low is hard on the back. The "sweet spot" is specific to you and how your body is put together.

May I suggest you take a chunk of 2x6 and mount that and then move the drill up and down along that until you decide it's just right and then bolt it in firm at the spot you want to have it.

May I suggest you take a chunk of 2x6 and mount that and then move the drill up and down along that until you decide it's just right and then bolt it in firm at the spot you want to have it.

Good idea Thomas. A good starting position would be with the crank handle in the topmost position, level the crank handle with the center of your shoulder joint. Your hand will be shoulder height at the top of the rotation.

I remember reading somewhere (here?) that the crank handle should be at shoulder height at its highest point. Thats how I installed mine and it seems to work well that way. However, as one of the other posters pointed out, it may be a very personal subjective thing, so that height may need to be tweaked a bit. bart

thanks for the thoughts, i have a large screw house jack that i can set it on. to help move it up and down. i might try to rig a chain fall above where it will be mounted. i'm 140 lb, it is around 275 lb need all the help i can get to put it in place.