I Forge Iron

Big Forge

joshua.M

Pics tell the story, almost. The flue is not right at all. You'd want that flue right there where the fire is, so the draft pulls the smoke up the flue pipe. This one has additional 90's placed in the flue. The old time forges had a much larger opening to which the fire was placed before. I only have a 7"X7" flue pipe above my fire. It pulls about 60% of the smoke and maybe 70% with the draft inducer fan operating.

post-21170-0-81866900-1337011341_thumb.j

post-21170-0-20704000-1337011368_thumb.j

That'd depend on a number of variables. #1 what it's going to be used to heat. #2 what fuel. #3 Where it's going to be used, as in clearances, room cooling, etc. #4 What can you afford, for construction, fuel bills, making the smithy livable, etc.

A little more info will make meaningful answers easier.

Frosty The Lucky.

That'd depend on a number of variables. #1 what it's going to be used to heat. #2 what fuel. #3 Where it's going to be used, as in clearances, room cooling, etc. #4 What can you afford, for construction, fuel bills, making the smithy livable, etc.

A little more info will make meaningful answers easier.

Frosty The Lucky.

#1 it is going to be used for just about everything :D
#2 I use a 50/50 mixture of coal and coke
#3 it is going to be used in my 25X40 shop that is a shed roof the place where im putting it is 15ft tall.... i am putting walls on in the next month or so and i have a vent fan in the center of each of the 25ft walls, one blowing in one pulling out
#4 a good amount, i would like to ude stones from the fence lines on my farm to give it character but use steel reinforcement

Josh