I Forge Iron

How to make steel look like silver?

Steel can take a phenomenal polish, but you are right, it is not silver. There is a whiteness to actual silver that steel does not get. Nickle has a different appearance as does chrome.

It really sounds like you are going into the realm of plating.

Phil

Steel is what it is, you can shine it to a mirror finish but it won't stay way without help as in nickle or chrome plating. Silver plating is a fragile finish since it will tarnish in the atmosphere and soon wear off with repeated polishing. If not plated it continually rusts on you. Since steel is so attuned to rusting no matter how well polished it will eventually go red on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....since no one answered so far....in the book... " Twentieth century Toolsmith and Steelworker" it states " take 1 pound of ashes from white ash bark, dissolve in water. heat your iron red and cool in this solution, and your iron will turn white as silver"
I don't know, I was going to try it...never got around to it, maybe I'll talk to my tree guy friend, get some bark and give it a go.
I don't know if the term "iron" will translate well to steel.....now.... once again I'm curious, I gotta try it...will let you know, after the holiday, taking a few days off..... Remember the Veterans in your area,...thank at least one

Well....since no one answered so far....in the book... " Twentieth century Toolsmith and Steelworker" it states " take 1 pound of ashes from white ash bark, dissolve in water. heat your iron red and cool in this solution, and your iron will turn white as silver"
I don't know I was going to try it...never got around to it, maybe I'll talk to my tree guy friend, get some bark and give it a go.
that's good book I have learned lots from it.

You can copper plate, then silver plate and lastly chrome plate to protect it from oxidizing. Chrome isn't the pretty silver color on your bumper, that's nickle plating, chrome is clear and pretty darned weather proof.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...