I Forge Iron

American Pickers

HWHII

I watched a episode last night of American Pickers. For those who have not seen this show, it's about two guys who travel they country looking for antiques.

Last night they were in North Carolina and in a big building loaded full of stuff. They find this old bar and start to haggel over the price of it, but on top of this bar sit 2 great bellows. Fantastic looking! The bar happens to come out of a blacksmiths shop / tavern by the name of Jean Laffete in Louisiana. They keep on haggling over the bar and never give the bellows a second look. They end up buying the bar for $50 and says he will sell it for $100 for a $50 profit. I'm thinking to myself the real gold is on top you dumb XXX and you can make more money off the bellows.

I have watched this show for sometime and can't begin to tell you the number of anvils, post vises and other blacksmith realted items in the background they just over look and they see no value in.

So for all of you looking for blacksmithing tools their out there go find them.

I noticed that, too! They were a nice size, not the huge ones you usually see. That's okay, that just gives a smith the chance to find and use it. There has been a number of barns/shops with tools as you said. I wish they gave contact info so things we see could be found.

Did you see the Von Dutch Harley with a vw engine that was owned by Big Daddy Ed Roth?! Amazing and they bought it for $21,000!

I saw them too . . . one even had the hook (in great shape) on it.

I'm real skeptical of the "finds" that most of these shows "Pickers", "Pawn Stars", "Storage Wars" etc. seem to consistently run across . . .
I'm more of the mind that any bike of Big Daddy Ed's was "found" well before the filming by a producer's well funded research team and then the "find" was well scripted to add that o' so profitable element of excitement/drama.

We have a similar / spin-off show here called "Canadian Pickers". They came to town on a 'pick' recently. Months before, there was a series of ads in the local newspaper asking for people wanting to be on the show to contact the production company... I'm sure all of these shows are quite scripted.

Ya I saw the bellows too, I watch the show every week, well when they actually have new episodes at least. It is amazing how they pay no attention to blacksmith tools and such. I remember an episode where the guy showed them the blacksmith shop and they just passed by it. (Good for us) nobody tell them about this now.
I am going to do some picking myself today, another estate sale. You never know what you will find buried in a shed or garage. Scored an 84 lb Arm& Hammer anvil last year $40.00.

I noticed that, too! They were a nice size, not the huge ones you usually see. That's okay, that just gives a smith the chance to find and use it. There has been a number of barns/shops with tools as you said. I wish they gave contact info so things we see could be found.

Did you see the Von Dutch Harley with a vw engine that was owned by Big Daddy Ed Roth?! Amazing and they bought it for $21,000!

Yeah I saw it! The whole show just kept me frothing at the mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

I watch it almost religously! On one particular episode I noticed a ton of related items so I think, 'Shoot, I'll just contact them on their web site.' I did so, stating that I was by no means trying to horn in on their finds but would like to know the location of a particular "hot spot" they showed. That was at least a year ago and still waiting for their reply.....yea, right, like they are going to respond....

Blacksmithing tools don't sell real well in antique shops so it's no wonder they don't give much but a glance, probably cost them more to get it home than they'd make.

Lastly, it's a TV show. If you want to know where they find something you have to pay attention to where they are, then go there and ask around, coffee shops are my favorite information sources when traveling. Shooting a TV show on old "Whatsisnames" place will be remembered for quite a while, years at least.

Frosty The Lucky.

I find the show quite interesting for the value that they place on some things, I often wander "just whan they are on" that said has anyone seen "Scrappers" what a bunch of palookas! that lot are