I Forge Iron

Found A Champion 400 for Free

SReynolds

I visited a blacksmith shop this weekend there there was a Champion 400 forge blower there, lying on the floor. It has no stand/legs etc and the oiler is dented so it will not open. Outside of that is looks nearly new. I don't know why it isn't a rusty mess like most.

I asked for it and I was told I could have it. So I took it home...........

post-21170-0-78751100-1334528718_thumb.j

post-21170-0-63416100-1334528730_thumb.j

post-21170-0-78472900-1334528770_thumb.j

post-21170-0-40369000-1334528788_thumb.j

I was reminded of this fellow who makes custom banjo parts. One at a time, piece by piece and I asked him if he had any, for cheap, which he would be willing to part with. I received an item from him, free of charge.

Hey, I give away most all my work at the blacksmith shop, as I enjoy giving it to folks who have an interest. Hand forged items also make great gifts!

I keep looking this thing over and just cannot locate any flaws, outside the oiler. Not a problem as I can simply unscrew it; easy enough.

There just isn't any problem with this and ther interior is polished clean. I don't understand why the inside is so clean. If they are
not filled with rust, they generally are gummed with old/dry, dirty/crusty oil.

It definitely looks like someone has given that thing a thorough rebuild. You would think gears that shiny would have to have been in use to keep the oil moving and the gears from corroding, though my newest blower sat in an unfinished basement for 10 years without having the handle cranked and the top of the gears are just as shiny as ever. The outer casing is rusted completely with no signs of ever being painted, but the interior is nearly new in appearance.

The other blower I bought at the same time looks the same on the outside, but the gears were completely covered in rust and frozen solid. No telling what happened different from the other one, but something happened.

You're truly blessed to have been given such a fine blower. She'll last you for the rest of your days, and look good doing it!

I messaged my oiler and got that operational now. I have to pull on it and give it a slight wiggle, but it will pull up now.

I personally don't believe the 400 is the best over all. They are far too complicated. MY favorite would be the Champion no. 140 Eureka. They have NO ball bearings. They are very quiet and operate smoothly. More so than any 400 I have ever turned! They are very solid and simple.

post-21170-0-10473600-1334751840_thumb.j

I messaged my oiler and got that operational now. I have to pull on it and give it a slight wiggle, but it will pull up now.

I am glad putting a it in writing got it going for you :P Did it just need some polite encouragement, or a stern talking to with threats of a pink slip?

Phil

Yea, the pictures you provided are not quite the same. Rather, they look more like what I found on a Buffalo blower gear case.

The oiler cup body has a dent, so I worked the inner portion up with a long flat punch and that moved the dent outward enough to at least pull the innar portion up with a bit of a wiggle. It is the original and I'd much rather leave it thata way.

Not the same for the handle................The one on there looks to be OE and it is in perfect condition. But, it is way small. Like in very small O.D. So, I'm having a friend turn me one just the same only much fatter. I like a larger dia. handle.

Replacement handle for the 400 blower and pin/shims and square nut. I had another made for my other 400 that mounts onto a forge.

They are somewhat larger O.D than the originals.

I'd like to see some of the handles out there. I have seen some real nasty looking grips, most entail some elctrical tape.

post-21170-0-36029600-1334947882_thumb.j

post-21170-0-03984400-1334947918_thumb.j

post-21170-0-97341200-1334947976_thumb.j