I Forge Iron

Hello from Devon

Stickle66

Hi

I’ve just joined the site and would like to briefly introduce myself to everyone. I have just completed a one day course in Devon England at Westpoint forge on an introduction to blacksmithing run by John Bellamy. This was a great Birthday present from my GF. I have been pontificating for years about Blacksmithing after failing, on a toss of a coin, to gain an apprenticeship when I left school many many years ago, and deep down I have always felt I missed something in my life as a consequence. Over the years all of life’s responsibilities have given me the excuses I need not to re-ignite this dim flame: children, paying the large mortgage etc etc etc. I now find myself one of those redundant individuals applying for mundane jobs and I have thought sod this, this is what I have always wanted to do, give it another go. So I am here today to enquire if there are any individuals who can guide me, pass on there experiences or who would offer to teach or just have me sit and watch. I have enrolled on John’s tool making course in May and have some other limited funds with which to pursue this dream. Thank you for reading

David

welcome fellow Devonian :) John's courses are always a good place to learn forgework, so you're of to a good start there! Also try and get yourself to any forgins that are going on (sadly we don't seem to have many down here, mostly the IFI ones at Westpoint)

welcome fellow Devonian :) John's courses are always a good place to learn forgework, so you're of to a good start there! Also try and get yourself to any forgins that are going on (sadly we don't seem to have many down here, mostly the IFI ones at Westpoint)

Could have one at your place Dave

Welcome aboard David, glad to have you. I'm in Alaska and not too conviently close but any time you're in the area please look me up. There are lots of smiths on the isles, plenty here to get in touch with. Any questions you'd like to ask here are welcome too, we like good questions even if we have to make up the answers.

Frosty the Lucky.

Could have one at your place Dave

at some point I fully intend to :) I just have to wait for the miserable old git next door to move away or drop down dead; he causes no end of problems with access and and visitors (little things like smashing their windscreens, slashing tyres and physically/verbally assaulting them).

I have hope that I will host a forgin in a couple of years though :D

Sounds like that is where the Beast of Bodmin has retired to, it hasn't been sighted lately.

What you need is a really good attendance of big hairy blacksmiths turning up (or not so hairy, and the odd slim and elegant ones) en bloc with some tooling, and see what happens, it could be a calming influence

You could invite him to participate as guest of honour.