I Forge Iron

Blower inside coal forge chimney

Hi, I recently came accross an article on how to build a coal forge.
In the picture, the blower pipe is divided in 2 so the draft goes underneath the forge and inside the chimney. In the description it says that it helps to draw the smoke into the chimney.
Anyone ever tried this method? I want to give it a try, mostly for the ashes in the air, as the anthracite I use doesn't smoke, but wanted to know if anyone has ever tested it before.
I'm having difficulties to upload the picture so I put the link here: http://www.vintagepr...shop-forge.html

John_zXz

I opened the PDF and it looks like the writer was attempting to recommend a solution for a poor stack design since a good stack needs no other forced air to pull properly. I personally would not want to try and combine my fire blower to an air inducer - but if an inducer is really needed in your circumstances then make it a separate unit.

That is different. I have an actual fan/blower inside mine and it still will not draw but say 30% of the smoke etc. up the flue tile. Most my smoke and ash is in the air. It's what the windows and doors are for, I guess.

Wouldn't you loose air available for the fire............??

This is a draft inducer. It acts like a jet on a gas burner. It causes the whole volume of air to move more forcefully. The design in the .pdf calls for a tiny 6 inch flue, which is the root of the poor draft problem as that is not enough to draw all the smoke off a forge. If you use a 12 inch flue you will be in much better shape to start with. The draft inducer will help on cold-start and on windy downdraft days that all chimneys perform poorly.

Raising the height of the stack above the roof (I am drawing blanks for regularly cited height above the peak), with a 13 ft minimum rise is also a good way to have good draft.

Phil

Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I'm gonna change the chimney pipe size from 8" to 10". That will certainly help better than adding a pipe with a blower.
Grant, the link is very interesting and has nice pictures too. Thank you.

Here is a thought that I have been having. I use an electric blower that puts out way to much for the forge. I usally have it choked dow by about 90%. Instead of using a blast gate, could I use some type of wye valve that would divert the air either up the stack or to the fire pot. Woudl that kind of be the best of both worlds? Then again, I may be making a solution for a problem that doesn't really exsist.

I need something like that. My forge (the one I use) was designed by the state of Ohio for the state historical society. Spared no expense in the construction of this shop. IT had the worst flue imaginable. It will not pull a draft even with the installation of the fluw pipe blower. The biggest problem I see is that tjhe flue tile is 7X7 and it as two 90% bends, prior to reaching the flue tile inside the chimney.

If you have a straight shot, up and out, it would draw a draft from the hot gases.

I need something like that. My forge (the one I use) was designed by the state of Ohio for the state historical society. Spared no expense in the construction of this shop. IT had the worst flue imaginable. It will not pull a draft even with the installation of the fluw pipe blower. The biggest problem I see is that tjhe flue tile is 7X7 and it as two 90% bends, prior to reaching the flue tile inside the chimney. If you have a straight shot, up and out, it would draw a draft from the hot gases.

If you have an outside cleanout on the straight section then you can probably have the draft inducer outside so it stays quiet inside...

Phil

One more thing to consider: For a draft to work it needs heat, that is a key, if you add cool air to the stack it may not help at all. And for air to move from the shopt to above it there must be a way for air to move back into the shop. If there is not enouigh air entering the area you cannot do anything to make it go up the pipe. If you have any wind at all outside it may affect the total air flow. If youir air entering the shop is on the lee side of the wind it may impede air entering the shop. If your chimney is below anything in the line of the prevailing wind,no matter how light it is. You may not have a draft up the flue. I would look at all of the above before I wouild add bells and whistles to your set up. In fact I would check these thing before I changed pipe size.