I Forge Iron

My first forged blade!

elkdoc

I kind of feel like bladesmithing is blacksmithing at its most refined. Thought I'd take a stab at it myself. :lol: Corny, I know...

Well, here's my first shot at forging a knife. Made this from an old, discarded horseshoe. I loosely followed the steps described in "New Edge of the Anvil". Actually made two blanks, and this one turned out the best so I finished and sharpened it. I was actually more interested in the forging processes than the finishing, but I guess it's not bad. Was a ton of fun.

horseshoe_knife_1.jpg

horseshoe_knife_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice work. I like it. Remember to try to find stuff like sway bars, leaf springs, and coil springs from cars. you can usually get them from mechanics and amatuer mechanics. I got a lot of it from a friend. probably upwards of 50#'s of high carbon steel. for free.

ELKDOC-- Nice Knife. Shows some imagination.

If you want to keep on with the shoes---St. CROIX(eventer) shoes will harden enough to use for an actual knife. You will have to water quench them three times from non-mag. On the third quench it will be hard enough to use for just about anything. I don't temper them. Don't let them get to thin before you quench-- after quenching, then finish grinding down to final thickness.

Railroad spike knives will give you a lot of practice with a hammer. The nice spike knives will bring $45 to $60 at craft shows in railroad towns.. If you want to see some nice spike knives---TAI GOO-- has some posted on-----donfogg.com-- bladesmithforum

People like to recognize the spikes for what they are.

Quench the spikes the same as the shoes.

Chuck

Thanks for the advice, Chuck.

Actually, I've made a few of these now and they're being used as letter openers. They work great as such, and I've lengthened and narrowed the blade to better accomodate the new task. One is actually being used as a 'bodice dagger' by a fellow smith's wife! :oops:

I'll be 'discipling' a little bit under a bladesmith a few times a month soon. He's big into good steel and correctly heat treating, so it will definately be an education. Can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...