I Forge Iron

flat grind a blade

tab112983

I am trying to flat grind metal for knives I am making. I am looking for a peice of equipment that will run me about a hundred bucks. I am wondering if I should buy a 12 inch disk sander or a 4x 48 belt sander. What would you all recommend? Would there be any modifications I could make like mounting some rubber behind the sand paper to keep from putting accidental scratches on the peice im working? Any advice is welcome.

Years ago I purchased a hand held belt sander at a yard sale for $5. Clamped the handle in a vice used it to sharpen chisels and knives for 10 years before purchasing my Wilton belt grinder. That is about as cheap a solution as there is to be found. The 6 x 48 belt sander sounds like a winner. The only thing, if sharpening finished hardened tools, you need to cool your blades frequently or the blade will over heat and the temper will be drawn.

I would consider draw files and saving up for a 2x72 or 2x 48 belt grinder.You will find more choices of belts at cheeper price If you want flat the draw file will work fast and cheep. You will be happier with a 2" belt sander. I would also recomend varyable speed like step pulleys. a coot grinder or grinder in a box or even a grizzley.

Craftsman 2"x42"

$140 or so, they are screaming fast, but you can get blaze belts from Trugrit and be good to go.
The plate. Will need some work, but, google Craftsman 2"x42" mods and you'll see what guys have done with theirs.

A 2"x72" is ideal. But the Craftsman will get you started.

The 4"x36" is basically a woodworking tool. I'd skip it for blades.

The other option is a 9" disc. Uses standard sheets of paper but you can grind blades well with practice on one. I have 2 and love em.