I Forge Iron

help me ID this vise, please (pic. heavy)

TechnicusJoe

Hello everyone,

Recently I bought a small, English I think, post vise and I'd like to know a bit more about it.
Don't mind the horrible green paint, I will strip that off.
The jaw is only 3,5 inches wide and it's 3 feet 2 inches high. It's made of wrought iron for sure (weld lines and different layers).
The jaws are made of steel (possibly inlayed) and have been hardened: It will dent a hardened hammer.

It also has something that looks like a maker's mark, but it's hard to see. Hopefully cleaning of the ugly green paint will clear that.

DSC00018.jpg
DSC00019.jpg
DSC00021.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Joe

I believe you have a German vise. The mounting plate style and the high cheek plate on the side are typical of a German vise. English vises normally have much smaller side plates, have a different style mounting plate, have longer legs below the screw, and lastly they would have little ears just above the screw and box.

Large cheeks is more German in style.

How's the screwbox constructed?

I have another oldie that's 3.5" but a lot lighter build. The screwbox was brazed up out of pieces and the thread was wound on the screw to form it and then brazed into the screwbox. Frank Turley looked it over and estimated that it was a pre-1800 vise---I still use it on occasion---*CAREFULLY*. Picked it up at Quad-State for US$20.

• 3 months later...

Yes, no, and maybe. I had a small German vise with a tenoned mount of about that same period. I saw it on eBay and asked the seller if it had a spring, because the side plates may have obscured it. He wrote back and said "No." I sent for it, and it DID have a spring. My vise had a small shelf-like anvil integral with the fixed jaw, and most German vises had such a projection. I had a German smith visit the shop and showed him the vise. He said that in Germany, he used the projection for bending, much as we use the step on an English pattern vise. Google "schmiede schraubstock" (Images) for further study.

I sold my vise to the Bethlehem [Pennsylvania] Partnership for their recently constructed, Moravian "1750 smithy."

• 2 months later...