I Forge Iron

Poll: Swage Block

I use a swage block all the time. One of the few things I am good at is making a leaf...so I put it on everything. The thing is my swage block is a hunk of hard wood with a few shapes burnt into it. I have about 3 or 4 different variations of leaf swages burnt in from use.

It's a smokin' good swage block!!! LOL!!!

Peyton

there is a swage block at the side of each of the hammers ,and they get used as bolsters driving out drifts and sutch ,on a daily basis there is one shared between two anvils and that gets used for upsetting and for bending using the holes ,the down side is it tends to attract tools and becomes clutterd ,so that i ocasionaly through a tantrum and heave the lot off it accross the shop ,comments like dad we have to use it as well, set me off again ,it isnt a bla--d bench,

My setup (Anvil, forge and vise in my backyard) is still too small to even think about a swage block. I have made a tool for the hardy, a piece of 3" pipe welded on a 16mm plate with a hardy shank for dishing plates and other stuff, if I have a job where my tool doesn't work, I'll make something else.
Primetech do you put your wooden block on the anvil or on a seperate table? Thomas, do you have any pics of your hardy swage tools?

Thanks guys, I am picking up so much from reading this stuff.

• 1 year later...