I Forge Iron

need ideas

i am rebuilding a 1958 ford 641 workmaster tractor i what ever spare time i have. i want to give it a custom steering wheel and need some ideas as what to forge. i will forge the round wheel and am thinking of a forged tree for the center forging the steering nut to look like a cut branch or a burl. i am open to anything.

matt o

This is where you imagination gets to run wild.

You can include and combine sculpture, blacksmithing, and just plain weird into a single project. Throw in a little steam punk if you like. Just show us photos of the progress and the finished piece.

:) nice - a custom tractor steering wheel... i think a tree sounds fab, like glenn said - the world is your oyster - it depends what does it for you visually - some like smooth and organic curvy shapes and leaves, some like heavy texture, some like complicated cut geometric patterns, i would go for forged trunk branches and leaves with lots of movement but not massive texture.. i would like it smooth i think, but no iudea why! your making it, you got to decide! please show pictures though - sounds likea great project... :) i would prob have a nice fat heart on the steering nut and make a feature rather than hiding it, but you do appear to be a bloke :) so maybe a bird or owl in the tree - a snake even :)

glenns steam punk suggestion would be very cool too.......

thanks for the input so far. i will post pictures. the wheel is 17.5" diameter. i was stripping more parts today and thought what ever i do for the wheel i can do for the front emblem. it is about 5" in diameter.