I Forge Iron

Looking at this anvil, Soderfors 150lb edges beat up.

Im looking at this Soderfors 150lb anvil and I dont know much about them. Just looking to get something to mess around the shop with. No big time iron work or anything. He's asking $200.00 says its cast swedish steel from 1910, has nice rebound and ring. Is it worth that much? What to offer? Havent actually looked at it yet, only photo.

Im looking at this Soderfors 150lb anvil and I dont know much about them. Just looking to get something to mess around the shop with. No big time iron work or anything. He's asking $200.00 says its cast swedish steel from 1910, has nice rebound and ring. Is it worth that much? What to offer? Havent actually looked at it yet, only photo.

Oh and the other ones are not left anymore.

It's got a decent face from the looks of it, and the price is less than $2/lb. While that one edge is really hacked up, it wouldn't be too much to weld it back into shape and that might help you negotiate some on the price.

For general tinkering, I think you should go for it. A better quality anvil is only going to cost you more money and not provide an appreciably better work surface.

It is worth it at that price...but in that condition it may be worth looking more for something else.

Try talking him down, but don't be surprised if he doesn't budge. Three $50 bills are powerful motivation, but have the other $50 in smaller bills in another pocket.

The damage is likely from sizing horse shoes cold.

You are in PA so blacksmithing tools are relatively plentiful.

Phil

Yea it seems theres a million guys on craigslist looking for anvils. I posted a want ad and a guy called me the other day and said " I think I got a couple 100 to 150 lb anvils down at the barn" I asked do you know what you want for them, he said no. I was salivating thinking Im finally gonna get a good barn find cheap. Well he still wouldnt give me a price, so I drove 1/2 hour to check it out. When I got there he must of had 15-20 anvils along with lots of other blacksmithing tools and there wasnt any anvil under 300.00 and the anvils looked beat. Everything had a price on it, thats what pissed me off, why couldnt he tell me. Guess he wanted to get me there.

Sounds like he was hoping you'd bite at the bait once you saw all those anvils just laying around. Personally, I'd buy a banged up anvil if it was cheap enough because large chunks of iron are just scarce in my area. The scrap yards don't sell to individuals, not that I can find, and the employees snag up any anvil that comes in because they know it's worth more than scrap prices.

If you don't have an anvil, the Soderfors is a good anvil even if it's a bit buggered. At the price he's asking, that's not too bad a deal as long as the face isn't dinged all to pete. Sure wouldn't hurt to offer him $150 cash, and be sure to mention that it will cost you more than $50 to get that edge welded up...

You forgot some good pics of the face and working edges.

The heel is mushroomed sideways...odd. That will need ground to clean up. Otherwise put some use on it before you go crazy trying to fix or grind on it.

The anvil was used for repointing tools, and they tested them in the soft side of the anvil. This is pretty common and does look ugly but doesn't do any real harm.

Phil

Good score! Soderfors are sweet anvils, I have a 125# and it's my favorite off all. No, I wouldn't do any welding unless there are cracks threatening to turn into chips. The steel face is heat treated and the weld heat affect zone WILL screw it up. If you need a sharp or clean edge make a hardy tool, just a clean square flat piece of steel with a shank welded on.

It has a decently radiused edge and other than that I rarely use the sharp edges, meaning I'd probably put it to use as is.

Frosty The Lucky.

You forgot some good pics of the face and working edges.

The heel is mushroomed sideways...odd. That will need ground to clean up. Otherwise put some use on it before you go crazy trying to fix or grind on it.

The anvil was used for repointing tools, and they tested them in the soft side of the anvil. This is pretty common and does look ugly but doesn't do any real harm.

Phil

Like I said a little ugly.

post-24632-0-95280300-1331517176_thumb.j post-24632-0-85495600-1331517339_thumb.j post-24632-0-64087800-1331517357_thumb.j