I Forge Iron

Loaded question. By definition, 'welded' means as strong or better than the parent parts. Are you hoping that less than that will be okay? I'd like to give myself a lobotmy from time to time, do you think a couple beers and a 110 buck knife would work?

Yea , MC Just feeling around last night b-4 buying the stainless wire today. I've actually had sucess welding stainless with mild mig wire, of course it rusts and isn't as strong as it could have been -- DEfinately not the kind of thing I'd do for a customer , but arround the shop, well.

Mike, piont well taken. The 125 is only rated for 6 or 7 gauge single pass, but I've been using this machine for a long time and we understand eachother, the machine and I. The little gantry crain I built to move the 50# Little Giant was welded up with this machine - My material rack - my lay out table... I love my little machine ( and would trade it in for a bigger one in a heartbeat ).

The material size is in this case determined by form, not function, strictly aesthetic, it is (1/4' x 2 1/2") certianly overkill structurally.

Really I guess I was asking about the differience between welding carbon and stainless as far as amperage goes. Perhaps my original post was a bit nebulous.

"lobotmy... do you think a couple beers and a 110 buck knife would work? " Maby, you'd think the drill press would be the best choice, but, the handle always slips away at the moment if contact"

Have a stick welder? A 125 fluxcore wire feed is pretty light to be welding 1/4" 304 without a lot of messing about. I've done too heavy welds with my Hobart 120 Handler but not with fluxcore, I run 75/25 so multiple passes without a lot of chipping are just burn it in till it's full.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fluxcore with a shielding gas, grind the root till clean and top passes. 1/8 proud on the weld. Jeremys point is well taken as are Frostys. The rack on my 63 was built with a Lincoln 100 weld pac and fluxcore and no gas. Single pass (mild steel tubing). Stainless will make a difference yes. Stick would be quick.