I Forge Iron

Gas Forge- Low Heat

carlp

I'm a noob. I recently got a used Whisper Deluxe that needs to be relined. I put some new fire bricks in the the floor until I get a reline kit. Today, I used a new propane tank and tried to heat some horseshoes and rebar to practice with.

There was no power in the flames and it just didn't get hot enough. I cleaned the jets (I think they are brass) and made sure they were centered with the burner tubes. It was windy outside (where I'm trying to work) today, but calm tonight.

It is like there is not enough pressure in the system.

My question is, if I reline the forge, might the pressure from the burners increase? Or, should I get a new regulator, hose, and ball valve?

Thanks in advance.

Good Morning,

The lining inside the forge has no bearing on the burner. The regulator should have some place to adjust the pressure, there should also be a place to fit a gauge so you can see what pressure works and what pressure doesn't work. If the flames are pouring out the doors/vents of the forge, you have too much fuel or not enough air.

If it is an atmospheric burner (no blower) adjust the air to wide open and then increase the gas pressure until you get the roar you will learn to hear when the flame is good, some but not too much flame coming out he doors.

The inside of the forge will become orange/yellow when up to temperature and the fire-brick will act as a refractory. The refractory function will allow the gas to burn better (another source of ignition), so you will actually want to turn the gas pressure down a bit when hot. If you coat the inside of the forge with refractory cement you will notice you have a larger hot-spot and you will use less gas pressure.

Neil Gustafson

Thanks Neil. I turned the gas on full, opened the ball valve, and then gradually adjusted the gas flow at the regulator until the roar was as loud as I could get it. I could see the hot spots in the forge, but not the flames because I'm set up outside in full sunlight. It was hotter than yesterday, though. I'll also fire it up tonight when it gets darker so I can see the flames. I might just need to get a new hose assembly with a pressure gauge.

I use a farriers forge with no pressure gauge only an adjustable regulator with no problem.
I'm not familiar with this model of forge but I add the following comments for what they're worth.
With the new fire bricks you've put on the floor, have you increased the height of the floor? If so you will have reduced the size of the combustion chamber which could affect the flame and also, if the floor is higher than the original your work may be sitting in the cooler part of the flame.

Some propane tanks have an "anti runaway" valve to keep them from venting if the line is cut. You need to make sure to open the valve *slowly* with the forge as a forge often will look like an open pipe to such a valve.

Beginner's mistake is to try to use a propane grill regulator instead of a high pressure regulator---like a "redcap"

If I started my blown forge with the air on high it would melt when the gas was added!

I start it with the gas on, lite and burning out the front of the forge and then add air till I get the right mix!