I Forge Iron

Full Metal Jousting...

CBrann

I may be the only one watching this show, but I like it. I will admit I don't pay much attention to the credits, but I am wondering who made the armor for this show.

They claim it is 80 lbs of 14 gauge stainless steel. Made the most modern and safest possible.

My question is who made it? There are 16 guys, therefore 16 suits of armor, all custom fit to a degree I am guessing.

By who?

I figure it was someone here. It good looking stuff. Just wondering if anyone knows anything they can share. I have dealt with TV production. Sometimes your involved with it and cant talk about it.

Just throwing it out there......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks much, looked over there, I'm getting an education... Thanks
Cliff

Who cares how it spelled? Does it protect more with a "U"? Do you spell theater with and "re"? Or color with a "u"?
I ask this in a joking sense, not to start a fight.

I'm American for whatever that means, I spell armor without a u, theater with an er, and color with an o.... Have fun!

I have watched that show a few times.
I saw a guy get knocked off of his horse and then dragged for a few feet.
When they opened his face mask up the guys face was colored red with blood. :o

Any activity where people repeatedly yell “are you OK?”, then have to use a pry-bar and a can opener to check things out would scare the socks off of me, and I would avoid suiting up because I would be busy running the other direction.

It looks very dangerous especially if the Lance penetrated in-between the joints of the suit.
It is a wonder that OSHA has not stepped in and made them define too what degree of protection the armour/armor Sheet metal fighting suit must really provide?

I would spell it “Armour” if “U” was in it. But it would be ok for me to spell it “Armor”, because “I” would not be in it!

I say all of this with tongue in cheek, but it does look dangerous!! :unsure:

Well the spelling discusion is intresting, but I have to agree that any activity that knocks your d**k into the dirt needs to be avoided. Having been banged up pretty good several times allows me make that observation. The armour is pretty neat and doesn't get as misformed as you would think. But give them time. Someone is really going to get hurt. And I don't think that OSHA gets involved in "sporting events".

I must admit that I have been watching it too. I really hope that it grows as a sport. As they say, "What is old, is new again. "

It is rather fraught with danger, but so is football, hockey, lacross and many other physical "impact" sports. Just like race car driving, they are 100 times as aware of the danger then static on-lookers are.

Heck, blacksmithing isn't exactly the safest ocupation or hobby, far from it. Everyone picking up hammer and tongs should be very aware of the potential for danger they are facing, some are not but that is no ones fault but their own.

Probably the most dangerous thing in any shop is the grinding wheel. That machine has probably produced more tragedy then all the others in a standard blacksmithing shop. Such as is evidenced by the recent and unfortunate death at Berkeley Forge and Tool.

If this jousting takes off, then it may really help bring back some glory to the draft horses!

Caleb Ramsby