I Forge Iron

How do you finish your workpieces ?

True, work coming out of you shop should have all of the prep done, but at a show and the people want to buy what you just made...wire brush it with the hand brush and clear coat it. It will look black anyway and the people will be proud to have it.

(This upper part should be under the "instant Finishes" not this thread.)

To add to what Dan said, gotta watch your sandblasters, too. I require them to wear gloves. If they come out carrying my piece in bare hands I make them take it back and re-blast it. That's due to the oils and greases on their hands.

Does this mean I can not put on a hot wax finish and clear coat it afterwards ?

I've never tried wax before a clear coat, but would assume you'd get a terrible bond as that's the sort of stuff you want to try to remove before coating it. If you want to to be darker, gun bluing works well under a clear coat. I use Oxpho from Brownells and can get anything from blue to gray to black depending on how much you apply.

What can I do ? I have finished my piece of work, wire brushed it including using a twisted cup brush on an angle grinder to remove as much scale as possible, brought it to a black heat and applied a wax finish. The colour is perfect but, I can still see too much scale for my liking. What can I try next to rectify this situation ?
i cant add anything to what has been stated here so far...that said if you dislike the amount and depth of scale your getting, your gas forge may be causing that issue... love your horse head btw

• 2 weeks later...
What can I do ? I have finished my piece of work, wire brushed it including using a twisted cup brush on an angle grinder to remove as much scale as possible, brought it to a black heat and applied a wax finish. The colour is perfect but, I can still see too much scale for my liking. What can I try next to rectify this situation ?

I like the character you have caught in the horse.

I have found this a really interesting and informative and thought provoking thread thank you everybody.

One thing which does occur to me to contribute is that there is an advantage to be had if the final finish of a piece is determined at the outset of the project.

You can then choose
either the bit of rusty stock or the new smooth bar;
the surfaces of your anvil and hammer can be polished or matt,
the atmosphere of the heat source can be oxidising to increase the scale or carburising/neutral to reduce it,
you can brush the scale off prior to forging or leave it on,
you can finish working at red heat in order to leave a lot of scale on or work it to black to refine and smooth the surface
leave it with the forming hammer marks in evidence or smooth it out with a flatter

Then there are all the finishing process options.

Every hammer blow should be eloquent, and every part of the process should contribute to the spirit of the piece.

Like all good philosophies this does not mean of course that you should work to a preconceived format exclusively...following your nose and extemporising is how we develop our skills, sensitivities and create the new and is therefore equally valid!

Have I talked myself full circle?

Hello to all. Have been on holiday so just catching up with the extra posts. Thank you so much. it has been a really steep learning curve and I really do appreciate everyones suggestions. So much still to learn ! I love this site and I love all your generosity. Now I must get on and try some of them out.