I Forge Iron

Score! cool old drill press.

I have the exact same thing. Its just missing the fine-increment down feed lever thing. Paid $45 for it. Its to big for my use and I'm thining about scrapping it or trading it to another maker for a pile of old tools

Figures you'd be the other side of Dallas...OR.. we'd be doing some trading for that drill.... Please DON'T scrap it they are nifty looking machines.... I'd keep it in my shop to look at even if it didn't work....LOL....but then I like strange things...

Actually they don't handle the lateral pressure exerted when trying to mill with them well at all.... It causes excessive spindle wear. The vertical movement encountered with a drill press is different than the side-to-side movement in a mill.

That's not to say they can't be used in a limited capacity for light milling...just that they aren't configured to do so.

I have a 20" buffalo with back gears. It will drill some big holes. I put a forward and reverse switch on it and it is good for tapping too. But to be honest a Bridgeport will do everything that will do and it will mill as well. Used Bridgeport can be had for less than a 1000 bucks these days. Still good score mark.

It was one of those things I just couldn't pass up. I have a mill, but this thing is a "pretty" toy-lots of "cool" factor. For 200 bucks I think it was a good buy. Only problem is-where the hell do I put it???? I have no room and just keep buying more goodies. My name is Mark-and I am a total tool junkie.