I Forge Iron

12-ton press frame versus 12-ton hydraulic jack.

don schad

Everyone seemed to be having so much fun with their hydraulic presses that I finally decided to pull mine out of the corner and give it a try. My intent was to make a swage by pusing in a 1" round fuller into some 5160. It didn't exactly work out how I had planned:

post-3041-0-84308800-1329787096_thumb.jppost-3041-0-86961500-1329787123_thumb.jp

I was watching the work, not the frame, and I was pretty disappointed that the jack was barely putting a dent in my steel...or at least the steel where I wanted the dent. I guess sometimes 12 != 12.

don

Very well said.....

These chinese jacks should be loaded max to 50% of the specified capacity. May be they are economical alternatives for once-in-while kind of things, but not at all suitable for any regular heavy duty process. Standard jacks cost around 3 to 4 times their costs, and it is not for nothing !

Those cheap 20 ton jacks are what they used to lift my house last fall (foundation piering). They left my house supported on hydraulics over the weekend (the permanent screws were in place, hand snugged, but not tightened) and there was no settling. In places they lifted my footings 6 inches, and in others the whole wall and footings went up just a tiny bit. They had about a dozen of them, and worked a few piers at a time. The pier itself was driven with a powered hydraulic ram, 6 inches at a time.

I would say the jack is a much more superior product than the frame! I would build a new top for the frame, or build a new frame entirely.

Phil

Aditya, take a look again at the photo. This is not a self built press. It looks like one of those cheap auto shop presses like the ones at Harbor Freight. One can do a calculation on the cross-members. This looks like 1/4" tubing and good for no more than about 2 tons. The bolts look like 3/8". Four of these at 1000 lbs shear each will be about 2 tons. I have a buddy with a press like this. He uses it with a 2 ton bottle jack, and it works great.

Aditya, take a look again at the photo. This is not a self built press. It looks like one of those cheap auto shop presses like the ones at Harbor Freight. One can do a calculation on the cross-members. This looks like 1/4" tubing and good for no more than about 2 tons. The bolts look like 3/8". Four of these at 1000 lbs shear each will be about 2 tons. I have a buddy with a press like this. He uses it with a 2 ton bottle jack, and it works great.

Yes you are right. It is a regular off-the-self product. I had not looked at the stickers well. I just could not believe that this can happen with a commercial product.

It is true that these chinese things are always very much on the brink of their specs, meaning 12 tons means it is the peak loading. So continuous working load should be half of it. But here seeing the result I thought probabely the jack has been changed. Its surprising that these types of products are being sold !