I Forge Iron

double edge flat grind???

Rangerdave

Is there a trick or easier way than guessing for a double sided flat grind? I am trying to make a smaller dagger/ boot knife. Its my first double sided flat grind and I can't seem to get the line centered. I am using 2 pieces of angle iron butted together as a jig to hold the blade, but can't get center to the blade edge on either side centered. I put a sharpie line down the middle of the blade trying to maintain the center. I am also using a craftsman 2 x 42 belt grinder. That may be one of the issues. It don't think it is designed to grind blades, but it does work just maybe not the best for the task. Hope to one day get a better one but for now it has to do.
Maybe it's just practice and patience but I thought I would ask the more knowledgeable. Maybe flat grinding is not the way to go???

Thanks
RD

post-22661-0-05351500-1329658205_thumb.j

Whether its the center line of a cutting edge, or the single bevels of the side, they are found and maintained the same way as the meeting point of double edges. mark with a lay out fluid, or even use a marker, or lay down a section of tape to follow that edge.... hand file, hand sand, machine... what ever you need to keep control. its simple, but not always easy. do not rush it.

Thanks, I think I may have already passed the point of no return on rushing it. I will try the hand file and see where it takes me. It may just end up a not so centered attempt. And I will not rush it on #2. I didn't really like the shape all that much. Maybe I will make it a letter opener for a family member. They are always forgiving right?

Thanks again.
RD

I know folks get tired of me saying this but you need practice to be able to do advanced work. Period! Now that said how do you improve? paractice practice, practice. Ok enough of that . Do not use knife steel for this skill drill. That puts pressure on you to at some point convince yourself that it is indeed a knife even though it does not please you! Get a bar of mild steel aboiut ten feet long. cut half of it into knife shaped blanks and profile them just like you wish the blade shape to be. However do not make a handle. Cut a blade shape on each end. Mark two lines down the edges of each blade about a dimes width apart. You must leave this much material later on blades to be heat treated. Then mark a center line where yoiu wish the grinds would meet in the middle of the blade. POut a nice piece of angle iron in the vise so youi can lay a blank on top and have access to the blade. if the angle iron is so wide it gets in the way of your file shape it so it does not. Now start with a coarse file and take some material off. when youi get both edges roughed in then switch to a finer cut file and file some more. If you cut past your lines stop and turn blade around and do other side/ You have to learn not to cross the line. Now is the time for that. Yoiu have four ffaces on each blank to learn on. do not expect all to go well for a while. When yoiu can get the sdies to look close then learen abouit draw filing.for a nicer finish. The first 40 blades will be the hardest.use the second half of the bar for more practice or if file is right then try it with grinder.

I appreciate your post Rich. Practice does make perfect however... If you are going to use resources ie. belts files etc... why not use blade steel? Yes some may not turn out but lightning may actually strike and call it luck or whatever you may make a good one. If I am practicing I am using 10xx. Even if it isn't perfect I still am learning and it will still be a knife. Practicing on mild steel doesn't give you a knife it gives you a knife shape piece of mild steel right? If this is wrong then such is me. I often seem to row the boat backwards.

Thanks
RD

How much crappy rock do you think Lenardo used up before he attempted David? Anyone can grind a knife badly. If you don't want to use mild steel use wood the right size. All good steel is expensive and pattern welded steel, more so. Why risk messing it up until your skill level is high enough to do the job correctly.

Your all on the steel of course,,I have taught a lot of folks how to make blades and for the same reason I said above,,if a blade steel does not come out right it is natural to try and think of it as a knife. and if that is the kind of knife you are willing to make then use that steel.
And of course I do not believe practice makes perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Long ago I made a decision on what is the worst thing I would sign and let out of my shop. You may wish to establish your own guidelines. If you practice a bad habit or letting things that are not to right as you see them leave your shop you are setting the tone for the work you do. Folks tha visit my shop are always asking why I did not finish or sell some of the knives I have stashed here and there..they are not right. I would run them through the chop saw but keep them to remind me that I can spend a lot of time and effort let alone money on a knife that is not worth selling. My word for them is tuition..the price I paid to learn something else.
Your shop your rules,,mine only apply here......