I Forge Iron

Hello From Goiânia!

Anhanguera

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Just a note....you may want to say a greeting to the ladies here on IFI. They are all wonderful smiths and sweet ladies.

Glad to have you aboard. There are TONS of info here a plenty of pictures to inspire you....another note...we LIKE pictures!! so get that camera ready and when you finish your forge let us see it! Feel free to ask questions, it most likely has been asked and you can find it by searching the site but for that ellusive question that hasn't been asked....well you get the idea... Again, glad you are here and we look forward to seeing your work as you progess.

Welcome

thanks.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Just a note....you may want to say a greeting to the ladies here on IFI. They are all wonderful smiths and sweet ladies. Glad to have you aboard. There are TONS of info here a plenty of pictures to inspire you....another note...we LIKE pictures!! so get that camera ready and when you finish your forge let us see it! Feel free to ask questions, it most likely has been asked and you can find it by searching the site but for that ellusive question that hasn't been asked....well you get the idea... Again, glad you are here and we look forward to seeing your work as you progess.

Thoman Dean, of course i want greetings tha ladies too. I'm building a small modified bucket forge i've got it 94% covered on mud and already fixed the air pipe , i have some doubts i'll try the forum search.

greetings accepted anhang :) certainly cant say im a wonderful smith, and im not even all that sweet, but what a gentleman thomas is ! :) welcome to the site, yes we will all want to check out your new forge etc, will look out for you! good luck with your social life once you start wading through all this info...... there is rather a lot on here :)

greetings accepted anhang :) certainly cant say im a wonderful smith, and im not even all that sweet, but what a gentleman thomas is ! :) welcome to the site, yes we will all want to check out your new forge etc, will look out for you! good luck with your social life once you start wading through all this info...... there is rather a lot on here :)

Thx Beth, apreciate all the support i'm getting here its really encouraging.

howdy from west texas

Thx, Jimmy!

Welcome! You'll learn alot here and we look forward to seeing your progress. So why the fighting Irish avitar from someone from Brazil?

Thx Randy! Picture from avatar is cause i'm a NBA fan and support Celtics heheheh.

People im having some issues about finding a cheap anvil, im looking for a roadrail track and still don't found one , there is another suggestions or more options?

Any suitable sized lump of solid material will do. People have successfully used stone even, granite and basalt. Rail couplers, pieces of heavy plate steel, fork lift tines, etc.

If you have welding ability you can take a smaller piece, say 30 pound and make a solid tripod out of box tubing or angle iron with feet that can be pinned to the ground and expect the solid mounting to improve the performance making a rather usable anvil.

Welcome aboard!

Phil

Any suitable sized lump of solid material will do. People have successfully used stone even, granite and basalt. Rail couplers, pieces of heavy plate steel, fork lift tines, etc.

If you have welding ability you can take a smaller piece, say 30 pound and make a solid tripod out of box tubing or angle iron with feet that can be pinned to the ground and expect the solid mounting to improve the performance making a rather usable anvil.

Welcome aboard!

Phil

Hi Phil and thanks for the advice, i dont have much tools here as my first steps i plan make my own blachsmith tools then go for bigger projects, as i said about the anvil i found on a rural shop near here some anvils but for now i can only affor a small one 2.5lbs for $35.

• 2 weeks later...

I see we have the same problem, yes diffrent country but still difficult to buy some cheap, 100 kg anwil cost slightly 1500 zł (465 US Dollars) so I'm still looking for. Now I homemade simply anvil (big word anvil) with profile "C" I'm cut and make horn and I weld this. I' use two 2" pipes for legs (one leg = two pieces pipe weld in T). Legs are not parallel. When I first use, wow what a terrible noise, I'm fill up pipes sand, and in profile "C" I'm put wool (I have some from aunt isolation for chimney). Now is OK, quiet little heavy, I make this some times ago I use for cold blacksmithing (rectification and bending) :D

I see we have the same problem, yes diffrent country but still difficult to buy some cheap, 100 kg anwil cost slightly 1500 zł (465 US Dollars) so I'm still looking for. Now I homemade simply anvil (big word anvil) with profile "C" I'm cut and make horn and I weld this. I' use two 2" pipes for legs (one leg = two pieces pipe weld in T). Legs are not parallel. When I first use, wow what a terrible noise, I'm fill up pipes sand, and in profile "C" I'm put wool (I have some from aunt isolation for chimney). Now is OK, quiet little heavy, I make this some times ago I use for cold blacksmithing (rectification and bending) :D

Prezes i've found a 125pound on my city for 350 dollars, but i think i'll buy a really small one with horne and holes for $75(22pound).

If he is willing to loan, then take advantage of it. Treat it with respect and work only hot or annealed metal on it, use a cutting plate when you need to use chisels. Maybe he will part with it when he sees you are taking care of it and using it properly to make beautiful work.

100 pound or 50 kg is a good starting size, and can carry you through a career, depending on the size of work you do. Remember that an anvil can look like anything, as long as it does the job.

Phil

I'm sorry but I'm forget in Europe we have kilograms you have pounds and my 100 kg = 220 yours pounds :D . My neighbor have fine heavy anvil but he don't want sell but he have second - small mayby I can borrow from him.

Well prezes, i use kilogram too, but i use pounds to simplify for the US forum members, an anvil in poland costs barely the same price here wich is much much higher than in states.

If he is willing to loan, then take advantage of it. Treat it with respect and work only hot or annealed metal on it, use a cutting plate when you need to use chisels. Maybe he will part with it when he sees you are taking care of it and using it properly to make beautiful work.

100 pound or 50 kg is a good starting size, and can carry you through a career, depending on the size of work you do. Remember that an anvil can look like anything, as long as it does the job.

Phil

Thx for tips phill, a 60 kg here costs around 400 dollars, i think i will take a small one wich i can pay and assure that is thight locked at my work table .