I Forge Iron

Why I'm a blacksmith

I did a craft show a little over a year ago. I got a client there that regularly orders colonial iron work every month or so. Payment is NEVER an issue. I have sent many items to him before I even receive payment, and he is ALWAYS prompt to pay and never complains about pricing! This last order that I received took me over a month to get to. I was out of town over Christmas and couldn't get to it then, and I had several other things to get done before I could get to his. I always maintain contact with a client that is waiting so as to let them know what is going on! Due to the long wait I gave my client free shipping.
Anyway, the guy is GREAT!

Today I received a package in the mail from my client. In the package was a note that said:
Dave,
"This is a gift for you in appreciation of your fine work for me." signed

Under the note was a $50.00 book, new in the wrapping. "A Heritage in Iron" by Rafael Routson! It is an AWESOME book.

The point is, it is an amazing thing to be appreciated by your customers, and to develop such a relationship with them that they'll do something like that for you. I highly doubt that the guy that grills hamburgers at Mcdonalds has ever received a "Backyard Grilling" book from one of the people who eats his big-mac every day.

It's a really neat fealing!

congrats! you got one of the good customers! they are better than gold! you might play around and make something unusual you know he would like and send him a picture of it .. might get a sale and some good practice out of it ... have you got donald streeters book ? (think its professional blacksmithing) he shows a bunch of colonial items ... good book might check it out (if you dont already have it)...

Dave: I see this as a credit where credit is due thing. As concientious as you are, as hard as you work and the quality of your work, not to mention how likeable you are, kind of dictates folk are going to want you work and will be willing or even eager to pay the price. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had you pegged as an up and coming great smith. That folk want to keep you on the short list is no surprise. Heck, a BUNCH of us will proud to say we knew you back when.

You earned it, congrats.

Frosty the Lucky.

Dave: I see this as a credit where credit is due thing. As concientious as you are, as hard as you work and the quality of your work, not to mention how likeable you are, kind of dictates folk are going to want you work and will be willing or even eager to pay the price. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had you pegged as an up and coming great smith. That folk want to keep you on the short list is no surprise. Heck, a BUNCH of us will proud to say we knew you back when.

You earned it, congrats.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hey thanks! I'm wanting to post a thread here soon showing exactly how far I've come in the past six years. It'll take a while to hunt up all the pics but it'll be interesting! You, like many others on this forum can say not only that you know me, but that you have helped me get where I am today and where I will be in 20 years. (Unless I do something incredibly stupid or something!) :D